Any Ideas On What This Could Be?

Guest got2now

Guest got2now

Abby is our 10 year old grey whose owner died a couple of years ago. She is a failed foster! Our former vet (who recently moved) noticed a hard nodule on her right rear leg close to the cephalic vein on 6/24/11. Said she thought it was a bb pellet with scar tissue but said to keep an eye on it. She has been to the new vet since then, and I mentioned it to them, but we couldn't find it and they didn't seem concerned. Well last night, I found it, and it had gotten a little bigger. Now it has another, softer mass (or swelling?) next to it. The vet xrayed it and said no bb. She aspirated it but got only small amount of epithelial cells. It is not attached to the bone but is directly on or near the cephalic vein. She thinks it needs to be cut out, but Abby is 10 years old and was put under anesthesia 2 weeks ago (partial tail amp and dental). Vet said we need to wait 2 weeks because of the anesthesia thing and then do it. Abby's most recent blood test (10/09/11) had high hemoglobin (21), hematocrit (60.9), and ALT (342). Platelets were low (155). On 3/23/11, hemo was 22, protein 2+ neg, platelet 543. Don't know if that makes any difference.

We can't do anything for 2 weeks but sit home and worry, which I promise, we will do. My questions are, do you think she will be ok going under anesthesia again? What do these symptoms sound like they could be? Any advice?

Thank you so much.

Edited by got2now

Bloodwork all looks very unremarkable for a greyhound. No concerns there. Of course anesthesia is a risk in any animal, more so in older animals. But that isn't to say it can't be done. Also, depending on what needs to be done you may be able to get away with local and sedation. I've put stitches into Summit with absolutely no sedation or pain control and gotten absolutely no response. I'm sure with some local and sedation I could cut something out and sew him up with no problems.

Was that vein used for anything recently? Could be that it is thrombosed (has a clot in it). Just throwing that out there. Can't tell you much without seeing or feeling it.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I think your vet might be apposed to a local because of the location of the mass-- on the leg very near or on top of a large vessel. One little wiggle could be a huge problem. The blood work looks unremarkable for a gh.

Maybe you can have your hounds teeth cleaned at the same time??

Guest got2now

That's true about the large vessel - she said that she didn't want to cause a bleeding situation. I can't think of anything that happened with that large vein. Seems like they draw blood out of the front leg.

We had her dental done 2 weeks ago when she had the partial tail amp that she got put under for. It's always good to slide a dental in when they have to go under anyway.