Aaarrrggghhh! It's Getting Earlier And Earlier Each Day!

Guest Whippet

FWIW:

I like the dogs to sleep in the room with me. Joseph was a hard case about getting up early when he first came home. Once I was pretty sure he didn't in fact have to go out for potty, he got a single firm "Lie down" and nothing else until the alarm went off -- no petting, no treats, no eye contact, no talking. It took some time and some temporary noise (as well as human fortitude :lol), but he learned that we stay in bed until the alarm.

It was worth training that behavior because now he does have a mild medical condition such that there are times when he *does* have to go out early. If he's up fussing before the alarm, I know it's one of those times, I take him out for potty ... and then proceed to ignore him until our regular breakfast time.

Best luck to you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest happygrey

FWIW:

I like the dogs to sleep in the room with me. Joseph was a hard case about getting up early when he first came home. Once I was pretty sure he didn't in fact have to go out for potty, he got a single firm "Lie down" and nothing else until the alarm went off -- no petting, no treats, no eye contact, no talking. It took some time and some temporary noise (as well as human fortitude :lol), but he learned that we stay in bed until the alarm.

It was worth training that behavior because now he does have a mild medical condition such that there are times when he *does* have to go out early. If he's up fussing before the alarm, I know it's one of those times, I take him out for potty ... and then proceed to ignore him until our regular breakfast time.

Best luck to you.

This is what we do, too. They have to sleep in with us, we babygate them in, that way we can tell what the real issue is...if it's a bathroom emergency (tummy troubles) then we can get the pup with troubles out. If not, we tell them to lie back down until we get up.

Guest iconsmum

I totally disagree with all the snack suggestions. He has been trained to be a spoiled brat. Obnoxious behavior = a meal. Pure and simple. If he did that to me, I run down the stairs and squirt him with a water spray bottle. I would not tolerate that for a second. Obviously, if he was in the same room with you, it would be easier to address because you could squirt him from bed.

I'd also consider not feeding a breakfast. Assuming you go to work, I would stuff 2 Kongs with some of his breakfast mixed with canned pumpkin, cottage cheese, yogurt, or an egg. Then I'd add the rest of his breakfast to his dinner. I'd get up while he is quiet, get ready, make my own breakfast, and take him for a walk. I'd give him those 2 stuffed Kongs before you leave the house.... and that is his breakfast.

I'd also work a lot on him having to be quiet, calm, and lying down before you leash him up for walks or prepare his dinner. I'm guessing that he is probably obnoxious at other times of the day as well.

he'll still wake her looking for the activity that produces the kongs -

I can sympathise!

Our last foster would get up with the sun, which became super annoying. Her issue was just that she was young and underweight so her hunger was off the charts for a little while. She became gradually more obnoxious about it so we trained her to wake to our alarm. We started by setting the alarm at the time she was usually waking up. We'd then take her out for a potty break ONLY. Upon return, we'd either head back to bed (and reset the alarm) or do our usual morning routine until their scheduled meal time. Each day, we'd set the alarm 10 minutes later until she was cued to get up with the alarm NOT the sun. She was never one for letting us sleep in on weekends but, after this, she was a lot more bearable during the week!

Obviously, you need your boy in the room with you to do this so keep working on the stairs. :)

My other suggestion is to work with him on his impulse control and ability to be patient. I'd start teaching him 'down' and 'stay/wait' when you have a few minutes each day (stay/wait can be taught when they're sitting, lying down, or standing; down-stay seems to be the most challenging for many dogs). Once he has the commands, build up the stay time. Teach a release cue and solidify the concept that he doesn't move from his down-stay until you allow it. This might take a LONG time (I am STILL working on longer down-stays with my boy, who I have had for 3 years, but I am not a diligent, daily trainer) but it absolutely helps with impulse control. 'Wait' is the most important command in my house. All my foster dogs learn it within the first few weeks and it makes a lot of things easier. Even if they don't have 'down' on cue, they know 'wait'. I have them wait before doors, wait before getting treats, and wait when we have guests. It's not perfect but it's something! It seems to make them calmer in the long run, too.

Good luck!

Ace started doing the same thing. I threw a pillow at him. he hid in his crate until I got up 3 hours later. Doesn't do it anymore

:o

WOW, poor Ace. This is not the way to correct this type of behavior. Hope he did not have to go outside to pee and then peed in his crate as he tried to tell you and you ignored his signal and you scold him for having an accident. Maddie barks when she needs to go out, it may be at 1230am 4am or she may sleep through the night but if she is telling me I am going to get up and let her out even if she went out before bedtime She is not as young as she used to be and neither am I. LOL

Edited by Maddiesmom

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]