Valley Fever & Fluconazole

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Miss Echo has Valley Fever. She carried a titer of 1:2 for almost 1 1/2 years on 300 mg of Fluconazole. Our vet, who has a lot of experience in VF & greys took her off her protocol, thinking perhaps she simply will always carry a low titer. Wrong. After 4 mo off the meds, she lost 2 1/2 lbs, and her titer skyrocketed to 1:16. Sigh. He believes even with the meds, she will never get rid of her VF. We *think* its in her front wrist. It is slightly deformed, for unknown reasons, and she will always limp. However, she is super energetic, and limp be damned, she barrels around the house and backyard like a maniac. She demands her walkies, and is always in the lead, super excited and happy. She does hold it after some time, and we treat with anti-inflamatories, when she really limps hard on it.

1. We do not want to restrict her. Her bad leg is a lifetime issue, and we want her to enjoy her life.

2. The vet says she will need bloodwork every 3 mos to check liver and kidney levels, since long term usage of Fluconazole can cause long term damage.

This SUCKS. I want her to live a full life and enjoy herself.

Anyone else treating long term VF?? What are your experiences?

Hello! We are also going through VF hell, not with our greys but our only "not-a-grey" Sparky. He had massive gran-mal seizures in February that were diagnosed as brain lesions from VF. It has been a struggle getting the meds just right, but we are working through it. There is a yahoo group called valleyfeverpets that has been so informative. If you join up they will send you information about blood results, on-going treatment and other stuff. If you don't want to join just send me a PM and I can send you the docs directly. Also I know that Flucon can be so expensive and we have found a mail order source that is more reasonable that we use so it takes the sting out of it.

BTW, Sparky is doing much better now but he does have breakthrough seizures from time to time, which our vet said was expected considering the severity of his condition.

Good luck with Miss Echo, I know what you are going through and it is a tough road but manageable. ;)

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

8-14-hound-siggy.jpg?gl=US

Living a GREYT life at the Hound Hacienda - Clarkdale, Arizona

Always missing our angel hounds; Parker, Lacey, Bella, Figgy, Macho, Aspen, Kingman and Tillie