Acorns..

Feisty49

I get a daily dog tip via email from the site Dogster.com. Today's tip is:

"More than fifty varieties of oak grow throughout the United States. As autumn sets in, these lovely trees will begin dropping their acorns into yards, fields, and forests.

Although acorns are a grand example of the variety of nature, they can be harmful to dogs. Small amounts of acorn ingestion typically cause no more than minor illness, although the gallotannins they contain can cause kidney damage. Typical symptoms are stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation, while whole acorns can also block your pup’s digestive tract.

Make sure you keep an eye on your pooch when you go out for walks, especially if it’s the type that eats first and asks questions later."

They are very dangerous. My neighbor's yellow lab got extremely sick from acorns, twice. The first time didn't know what he was sick from and the second time realized what he had eaten. Took him to the vets office which closed at 8PM and she was there at 7:55. They did let her in, good thing or he would have died. After that at the end of the summer she was on acorn patrol, raked them off the lawn and the sidewalk so he and no other dogs could get them.

Kathy

Guest Nuthatch

"...and yet they look like and smell like dog treats!"

This is what the look of daffy Ranger's face tells me when he gets a clap next to his ear at the moment he goes to eat one.