Red Knuckles ?

greytluck

Within the last few weeks Wally's knuckles on all 4 feet have become really red and look to be a bit swollen (although it's hard to tell because it just might be the color of them that is making them look more pronounced). It started with only one back foot so I thought he had banged himself on something but over about a week all four feet have turned red. I initially thought allergies but the webbing and between the toes are not red (or rusty)like I've seen in a typical allergy. It seems to only be the knuckle joints themselves that are affected. He isn't lame and doesn't seem to notice it or bother his feet at all. Also it might be completely unrelated but thought I would mention it, his nails have all become really soft. I was trimming them yesterday and they were really hard to trim as they smushed rather then cleanly cut like normal. He also has had low calcium levels on all his blood tests since I've got him 2 1/2 years ago but has thus far been asymptomatic so I never investigated it further, again not sure if it's related at all.

So has as anyone heard of anything like this before and is this something to even worry about?

ETA pictures

DSC04947.jpg

DSC04943.jpg

Edited by greytluck

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

My Andy's feet used to look like that but his was caused from allergies to the grass. His nails didn't go soft though so I'm not sure what that's about. If your pup has a low calcium level that can cause soft nails in humans, not sure about canines though.

You might try rinsing off his feet when he comes in from outside. Some people have had dogs allergic to certain foods that will show those same symptoms.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee