Dislocated Toe

Guest dramaqueen

Guest dramaqueen

2 weeks ago my Ruby dislocated her toe running in the yard. the Vet told me the splint hasto stay on for 2 wks. It's due to come off tomorrow morning & I need some advise on how to treat her after it comes off. How soon can she run? I imagine it will be weak but how long do you wait before they run? If someone out there knows a trainer who can offer some advise it would be GREATLY appreciated because I am new at this. Maybe there is someone who had a similar situation can offer some advice. Thank you

I would suggest leash walking for at least another two weeks (I would personally leash walk for a month-6 weeks, but we've had bad experiences with re-injuring dislocated toes). Soft tissue injuries can be a real PITA to deal with, depending on how bad the dislocation is.

There are a couple of old threads on dislocated toes, too, that have a lot of good info.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest KennelMom

I don't splint dislocated toes...tend to cause more problems on greyhound feet than they solve. Hopefully you or the vet have been checking on the splint to make sure no pressure sores have developed.

Other than that, I agree with Bauersmom...leash walk for 4-6 weeks. The longer the better.

Guest dramaqueen

This is what I think is happening to her. She started limping yesterday & one of my greyhound friends told me that when her greys toe was broken so got pressure sores because their paws sweat & they are held so tight in the splint. In this case what do you reccomend I should do? I'm sure my Vet will give her something to sooth that with some type of a creme(antibiotic). Boy I never want to put my poor baby through this again. Now I'm afraid to let her do anything & she's so Pathetic & I cry because I do not want to hurt her, I'm trying my best.

The limping in the splint is new, I take it? If so, I would take it off today - another day of rubbing can make a sore go from bad to worse. In the meantime, keep her off her feet as much as possible - the less motion of the splint, the less rubbing against the sore.

Don't freak if she does have a sore - in most cases, they resolve on their own once out of the splint. Only a few times have I had a dog that needed stitches from a cast sore (in those cases, they were broken leg dogs and no way around a cast...)

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest dramaqueen

Thank you soo much for the encouragement. I will keep her off the foot today. thankfully she is basically lazy so only in the yard to do her business. She usually sleeps all day. My poor baby I'm so worried about her I have never had a grey with any problem like this. Thanks to everyone for your opinions they are valuable to me.