Corn Advice

Guest peacehound

... He ran around wonderfully and jumped around like a normal greyhound & I was sure I found the answer to his pain & then he almost bled to death in a routine dental extraction because the Ansaid (rimadyl) had f'd up his clotting ability and he went into DIC (look it up- HORRIBLE diagnosis- vets call it "dead in cage"). After consult with OSU, they warned me that continual ansaid use has that effect on greyhounds all the time and causes them to be "bleeders" and often blled to death post operatively!!!

Am very sorry you had that experience. What a terrible fright. Most glad your guy survived. Am surprised your vet did not suggest discontinuing NSAIDs for a week or two before & after procedures such as that. That sort of thing is routinely suggested for people who take NSAIDs. I know because I must do that myself. This should be standard for dogs as well, not just Greyhounds but all dogs. Higher doses of vitamin E can cause similar problems & depending on dose may require the same precaution.

I do use NSAIDs for my pets when needed but try when possible to avoid prolonged use. Sometimes though long term use turns out to be the lesser of the evils. Still, it requires watchfulness & some necessary precautions such as mentioned above. Thank you for bringing up this important subject.

• 1 month later...

My 12.5 yr. old has had corns since he was 6. We've tried everything including, surgery, hulling, various creams and ointments and they still come back. Most corns are pressure related. A few years ago, Gustav had some corns surgically removed. Very shortly thereafter, he broke a foot and was placed in a cast for 2 months. When the cast was removed the corns were gone. However, as soon as he started walking without the cast, the corns came back. Recently I placed him on Rymadel 2x/day believing that with less pain he would be willing to walk. It worked. He is now taking regular walks despite the presence of corns on three paws. I've come to the conclusion that there is NO cure. The only thing we can do is manage the condition. I keep his nails short and use a dremel to grind them down.

Have you thought about using the corn cream from Susan you can e-mail her here and get more information

susanm@murrayavenuerx.com

I used it on my hound for several months. I was able to remove the hard cap but not the corn itself. IMO, just a waste of money.

I have to tell you about my 'miracle find'

I have an elderly grey who had bad corns for 3 years, constant visits to vets, thereapaw boots, you name it we've tried it. one conr returned with such ferocity the toe needed amputating. Then she developed more corns and in desperation I asked a homeopathic practitioner if she could work on something for me. She did and it's so simple, non-messy, easy to apply and within 3 weeks the corn had gone completely. It is now well over 6 months and there is no return.

She has a package of 2 oral rememdies and some remedy oil. As I said, it is not at all messy and you only need massage a couple of drops into corn 3 times daily (no covering required). I found it helped to gently file the corn every so often before massaging in the oil.

If you want testamonials and more info please email her. She is amazing and also does great remedies for firework/noise phobias and seperation anxiety etc. She has treated many american hounds corns since she first marketed this remedy and has over 96% success rate. (she is based in Ireland) I'm not sure how the price relates to the USD as I'm based in england but it cost me the equvalent of 2 vet consultations only.

her name is Lori and this is her email addy,

Lorimrose@aol.com

good luck with the corns, I know from experience how painful they are to the hounds and what a difference this remedy made to my girl. No more boots, no more vets, no more not walking on hard surfaces. Bliss!