Interceptor To Treat Hookworms?

Guest BrindleBoy

In beginning of January the vet said that she was still hookworm positive so we tried the Panacur again (over 3 weeks) and then again in March. April 3rd (still positive) we tried Drontal instead, we retested- still positive- back on the Panacur followed by Ivermectin tablets.

As it stands now, she is STILL testing positive

With the history of a heavy infestation, and the fact that some greys do tend to have somewhat resistant hookworm problems, that's obviously the more likely possibility. However, another possibility to consider is that they may not be hookworms eggs that are being seen on her 'positive' fecals. Grain mite eggs can look very similar to hookworm eggs. I once saw a case that another vet had been treating for a persistent hookworm infestation for months. Did a fecal, and the eggs didn't look quite right to me. Sent the fecal off to the diagnostic lab to have the experts look at it, and the result came back as grain mite eggs - they don't cause any problems and can come from food.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest BrindleBoy

UPDATE:

Indy got his Interceptor 2 weeks ago. Got his stool tested yesterday: NEGATIVE for hookworms. So apparently the vet DID know what she's doing... :blush

Guest Hero1

With the history of a heavy infestation, and the fact that some greys do tend to have somewhat resistant hookworm problems, that's obviously the more likely possibility. However, another possibility to consider is that they may not be hookworms eggs that are being seen on her 'positive' fecals. Grain mite eggs can look very similar to hookworm eggs. I once saw a case that another vet had been treating for a persistent hookworm infestation for months. Did a fecal, and the eggs didn't look quite right to me. Sent the fecal off to the diagnostic lab to have the experts look at it, and the result came back as grain mite eggs

Thanks for the info !- If we continue to get positive fecals I will ask our vet about this.

UPDATE:

Indy got his Interceptor 2 weeks ago. Got his stool tested yesterday: NEGATIVE for hookworms. So apparently the vet DID know what she's doing... :blush

Good to hear :thumbs-up Gives hope for the rest of us !

Guest kydie

grain mite info,,, very intersting ;) lucky here,, no issues,,, I use a newpaper when out walking,,, just slip in under dog when he stops to do his business,(learned that here on G.T.) works great,,, espicially if you have a pup with very soft stool,, roll it up and place in bag,, greyt way to get another use out of those newspapers too :)

Guest Tuesday

UPDATE:

Glad to hear it. :) I do want to mention, though, that hookworms are intermittent shedders. A negative stool sample yesterday may not be indicative of what a stool sample in two weeks will look like. False negatives are super common. It sounds like you've made progress but I doubt that the problem is never going to rear its head again. I hope I'm wrong and I don't want to discourage you. Hooks tend to be incredibly resistant to even the best dewormers out there.

Guest ravenchilde

Have to agree here with Tuesday. Miley had two negative fecals in between positive results. Keep deworming preventatively even though you have a negative result. Hooks, like Tuesday said, can encyst, and then pop out when they feel like it for no apparent reason. Miley is still being dewormed every 3-4 weeks, as she had a pretty heave load. Last time she was really ill was Feb 2011.

Yep, I agree with Miley and Ravenchild. Negative fecals missed Spencer's hookworms for 7 months. By the time they were found, it was a heavy infestation that had also migrated to his lungs. That was 5 years ago. After years of first Panacur then Drontal, he gets Interceptor every three weeks now, per his internist. We consider his hookworm situation more or less permanent thanks to the encysting.

ETA: Not all states have vets and techs well-trained in hookworm, as some states, like Washington, didn't have hookworm when they went to school.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest BrindleBoy

I know hooks can't be "cured", only treated monthly. Meaning, I realize Indy could end up with hooks again, but since he's on Interceptor monthly now, they shouldn't become a large enough problem to worry about again (I would think.) i.e., every month there could be a recurrence (worst case scenario), but also every month Interceptor will take them out.

Guest Tuesday

I know hooks can't be "cured", only treated monthly. Meaning, I realize Indy could end up with hooks again, but since he's on Interceptor monthly now, they shouldn't become a large enough problem to worry about again (I would think.) i.e., every month there could be a recurrence (worst case scenario), but also every month Interceptor will take them out.

I sure hope you're right! In my years of experience, Interceptor is not a stand alone product in the battle against Hooks. Does it help? You bet! But I would check stools regularly on Indy, and by that I mean again in two weeks and, depending on those results every few months. It's such a drag, believe me, I know. Best of luck to you!! :)