No Idea What Treats To Get.

Guest IndyHound

Guest IndyHound

After reading the book adopting the retired race hound i still had some diet questions. I had another thread on here which got me thinking. What are the best treats for him to chew on. Everyone says that rawhide isn't good and femur bones aren't good. The pet store people just want to move product and don't really seem to know anything about greyhounds. So please help what on earth should i get?

Guest sweetpea

Well, different treats are meant for different things.

Do you want him to keep busy chewing on something? A kong stuffed with peanut butter and kibble and frozen overnight will

keep him out of trouble for a while.

Do you want something to keep his choppers pearly white? A good marrow bone would do that.

Do you want treats to reward good behavior? We use "Train me" treats, they're little and get the job done.

Sweetpea gets a nutro cracker before each meal, it's how I judge how her appetite is.

They really are dogs first, unless you have reason not to give him a certain kind of treat, give him whatever he seems to like.

(But don't lose track and make him chubby, or you'll get an earful for sure!)

Congrats and enjoy!

Buzzy

Guest Swifthounds

Absent a medical issue, treats and chews for greyhounds are no different than those for other breeds. Yes, rawhide and long weigh bearing bones of large ungulates are dangerous, but not for anythig specific to greyhounds.

Kongs, bully sticks, antlers, and dried/ dehydrated meat are good choices. Zukes are a good training treat.

Guest BlackandBrindle

For chews, we give the pups beef tendons and trachea. We get them here. :)

http://crazyforcollars.com/bonesandchews/freerangechews.html

For just regular treats during the day we have several that we get, usually at Costco. We do get a lot of our treats from the link above. Don't worry too much. :) You can find some great treats that aren't expensive.

I stay away from anything made in China because of the petfood recalls from a few years ago. Rawhides give my guys the runs, but they have never had a problem with any of the chews we've gotten from EFC.

Good luck. I know it can be overwhelming but just see what is good for your pup and use common sense. :)

For chewing 12" bully sticks from bestbullysticks.com and I get them jerky from them also.

For biscuits they really like Mother Hubbard's peanut butter biscuits. I get them at Petco.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest mariah

Chips is a very aggressive chewer. He really likes the Himalayan Dog Chews. They're a good edible chew that has lasted much longer than other things we've tried. Bully sticks are good, too, although he tears through those very quickly.

Antlers are a good replacement for "non-edible" chew toys like Nylabones, unlike Nylabone they won't hurt the dog if pieces are ingested.

Guest katethegreyt

I second the bestbullysticks.com recommendation. In fact, if you order by tomorrow, they're doing a 10% off sale. Coupon code: JULY 10. I've found their prices to be the best for the quality.

The jumbo bully sticks are a big hit with my girl, as well as the braided or curly ones. They have a big dog "grab bag" you can buy which has a variety. I got this the first time around to test what my girl liked before spending a ton of money.

They have nicely priced antlers, but my girl won't chew any that I've tried from anywhere (I think the ones that are sliced in half to expose the innards might be a bit more appealing to start - something to try maybe). She LOVE LOVE LOVES trachea and tendons, but she has to get both of those in moderation (usually no more than 1/2 or 1/3 of one) or she gets lose poops. The stuffed aorta are also some of her faves. The bully sticks will last quite a bit longer than these other options though if you are looking for a time consuming chew (I highly recommend the jumbos or the braided ones though, as most greys seem to be able to get through the smaller ones in no time at all).

For training treats, I've discovered my girl likes the dehydrated lamb lung they sell. It's nice because you can crack off little pieces without major crumbs, so you don't have a treat bag mess after your training session is done. Other treats she will work for include cheese and hot dogs = )

She is also pretty entertained by a Kong stuffed with peanut butter. I usually put some kibble or smaller hard treats in there and then freeze it to make her work for it a little more. She's not a big chewer though, she just likes to lick her Kongs and is done with them when the goodies are gone, haha.

She also is the resident bowl/plate licker = ) It helps with the dishes a lot, haha.

Guest june

How energetic are you? Google and find some recipes for homemade dog treats and your dog will love you forever! My girls personal favorite are liver brownies. They smell really bad while they are baking and your kitchen floor will be covered with dog drool as they circle the oven waiting for them to be done. :food There are many good sites out there.

june

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FullMetalFrank

My dogs get a couple of large dog biscuits (we like the Kirkland kind from Costco) every day as a part of their regular "routine". They each get one in the morning after first potty (the girls need something in their tummy first thing or they get pukey) and after their last turnout Gene "hides" the stack of three biscuits for Frank to "find" (Gene puts them somewhere on the kitchen counter near the edge and Frank has to touch them with his nose, then everyone gets one) It's just a silly little game they made up but routine is very important to my kids and they don't settle well for the night if something is missed! :wub:

I give other types of treats as needed; raw meaty bones for their teeth, dried sweetpotatoes, etc...

Edited by FullMetalFrank