Post Surgery Diet Tip

Guest Greyhoundartist

Guest Greyhoundartist

Hi-

I am sure this has been suggested previously but I have not been on the site for a while so pardon any cross posts.

One of my Beloved rescues 'Perry' just went through a major surgery.

Getting Perry to eat after the surgery has been a challenge.

He is on a pain patch and antibiotic and both of these, along with the trauma of the surgery

have made his stomach upset as he refused to eat.

Any of his favorite foods and even snacks had no effect. I have been Blessed that he is drinking

water frequently.

Perry would eat small amounts of mashed sweet potato. This however was not enough for dietery needs.

Realizing he needed carbs and protein to regain strength I tried baby food in a jar. (Strained roast beef with gravy,

turkey and sweet potato...etc.)

He would lick this off a spoon at first and now he will lick the entire jar. Also peanut butter as a snack has been greatly successful.

He is now starting to eat dry food but I am still supplementing the baby food until his eating habits return to a normal state.

Just thought I'd share this tip as so many of the other suggestions (liverwurst, boiled chicken, rice , plain pasta, mashed potato...none of these had any effect).

Best wishes to you all and I hope this may help others who may have similar issues regarding not eating after surgery.

-K

Guest JarBear

Great tip! Going to get some to keep on hand.

Something I always keep on hand is Vanilla Ensure. I've only had one out of all my own dogs and fosters who wouldn't drink it. It also works great if you need to syringe something nutritious down them.

Guest Greyhoundartist

Great tip! Going to get some to keep on hand.

Something I always keep on hand is Vanilla Ensure. I've only had one out of all my own dogs and fosters who wouldn't drink it. It also works great if you need to syringe something nutritious down them.

Thanks JarBear-That's a great idea. All the nutrients and things he needs. Thank you!

Guest Greyhoundartist

Hope he is doing well Kevin! Why the vets don't give stomach meds is beyond me. Carafate is wonderful!

Yes-I was wondering the same thing. Cannot figure out why the Vets don't do this.

On a Positive note: today he received a wonderful package of Burpdog Biscuits.

The aroma was of walking into a wonderful bakery filled with fresh baked goods. Yummmm. Thank you Burpdog for your gift and your talent for creating these wonderful treats. This is the first treat he has really enjoyed since the operation. It's always good to see our kidz eating and enjoying...especially after such a serious operation and recovery. Bless You!!!!!