Merrick Bones

Guest sirsmom

Guest sirsmom

I saw some large bones at Pet Supplies yesterday that I was tempted to try. Some have beef jerky baked on them and they have military names like General, Lt. etc. Does anyone use these?

The only bones I will give my dogs are raw. I feel baked bones are too hard for their teeth.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest avadogner

I use Merricks bully sticks and Texas Taffy. Fully edible and my heavy chewer Augie loves them. I did try one of big beef rib bones but the jerky part is so thin it is gone in minutes. My 92 chewer was able to crack it open for the marrow and it became dangerous shards. Do not give those unsupervised. I am OK with bully sticks on his own because they are 100% edible. He decimates the 18 in thick onesin less than 30 minutes. He came to us with 2 broken canines and ate several pieces of furniture and books his first week home. Bully sticks were the cure.

Ava &Augie's mum

p.s. pardon my typing. My nook is oversensitive.

Edited by avadogner

Guest Swifthounds

You only need to know two rules for bones:

1. No cooked bones

2. No weight bearing bones of large ungulates, like cattle.

The tendons (Texas Taffy and the like) are good as a snack or for a light chewer. Bully sticks are better for real chewers. I give the tendon pieces to my senior girl who only has a few teeth and she does fine.