Liver Values For Spencer

Guest MonsterMomma

Those labs indicate a cranky liver due to drugs, rather than an underlying infection, GI problem, or other issue. Denamarin was an excellent suggestion. If it were my grey, I'd wait until the values were completely normal and he was at a good weight before attempting a dental.

Spencer is on SAM-e because I already had a supply of it for Shane. On top of that, his bowels have seemed looser within 12 hours of each dose, so I back off a bit. Now he has improved overall in that regard, so I'm trying it again. Would Denamarin be easier on him, do you think?

Theresa, I appreciate your thoughts. I wanted to wait for the dental until he was fattened up. But he has always had trouble with teeth, even with annual dentals, and his gums have looked really bad for weeks. The swollen neck gland is either the result of infection, probably from his teeth, or it's something much worse. And although it seems pretty certain that the liver values are from the drugs, his mouth is just going to get worse and bacteria can damage organs. As it is, I'm rubbing his teeth and gums daily with gauze and spraying Petzlife in there, and it does seem to be helping. A couple weeks ago he was having trouble eating. So there are definitely two edges on this sword: you don't want a an IBD dog not to eat, nor do you want infection spreading elsewhere, but this dental will surely be risky in his condition and at his age. As it is, I've pushed it off to June 7. If he doesn't seem plumper and stronger by then, we just won't do the dental.

For the good news, everyone, Spencer is eating very well today, asking for seconds, drinking more water (he was so dehydrated last week that he needed sub-q fluids), and this afternoon he ran a bit in the yard! He has never lost his love of walks, even three two years ago when he was so very ill, but running really means he feels better than before. :colgate Which gives me hope!

Thank you all so very much for the support and for the words of caution too. No one should hesitate to say anything they think I should hear! (I may sound settled, but that could change tomorrow!)

Spencer asked me to inquire whether Miley is very pretty? :P Guys!

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Stripeyfan

Glad to hear about the bile acids, and I really hope you can get all his dental issues sorted out without too many problems. Spencer, you have to fatten up and get better okay? Sending more good thoughts, and wags from Kelly!