Does This Sound Like Another Uti?

Guest Stripeyfan

Guest Stripeyfan

A couple of months ago, Kelly was diagnosed with a UTI after he started peeing for ages when he was let out (like 5 mins at a time), having accidents indoors and had blood in his urine. We treated with amoxycillin for 10 days, it cleared up and another pee sample taken last month (when we went to the vet for another unrelated issue) was clear.

This last week, however, he has:

- needed to go out at night twice (usually he can hold it all night, about midnight to 6.30am)

- had a day where he did a huuuuuuuuge pee, then went straight back out for another

- that same day, been licking himself a lot and was leaking slightly (just a spot or two)

Other days, though, he's been fine. This issue seems to come and go. There have been no accidents inside so far and his pee *looks* normal - I caught some to 'inspect' as the sample we took when he had the UTI was obviously full of gunk, and I wanted to compare. Also it has been very hot – 70-75º which is very unusual for April in the UK – so he's been drinking a bit more, but I wouldn't say he's been drinking excessively. In every other way, he seems fine.

Does this sound like it could be the start of another UTI or am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks!

Edited by Stripeyfan

Well, it doesn't sound normal, for sure. Probably the most useful thing i can mention is that when Shane had his months-long UTI, the urine always looked good when visually inspected. That was the reason it took months and Shane becoming hard to rouse before a culture was done and showed the germs. And even then the urine still looked good. So I wouldn't be persuaded by the visuals on the urine, I'd be more swayed by the behavior. Sorry. :( Maybe someone else will happen along and give you a more optimistic interpretation! :) Hugs and scritches to sweet Kelly!

P.S. I'll update Shane's old thread soon, as soon as I'm not feeling as lazy as I am now. :P

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I would run a sample in and have it checked. Hopefully he's just adjusting to different weather, but if not, you've caught a UTI early and that's sure better than late. Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Stripeyfan

Thanks for the replies. smile.gif Kelly just made it through the night – but had to go out urgently as soon as I came downstairs, and usually he won't budge until he gets his breakfast. And he's licking himself a lot again, so I'll be ringing the vet again as soon as they open.

Greyhead – hope Shane is doing better now. I haven't been able to get on here much lately so I may have missed updates! Will hunt the old thread out when I have a minute.