Help With Dog Terrified Of Husband

Guest AhSookieSookie

Guest AhSookieSookie

I think the barking and escalating fear really occurred when Jamie cut his hair. He has a very short brush cut now and looking back I think that was about when things started to dissolve.

There are some positives happening that are just tough for me to see/remember when I get discouraged. She will come closer to him now, certainly not to the point of petting but closer. She will also jump on the bed in the am to love on me when he is in the bed sleeping. She of course becomes very wary if he wakes up or rolls over.

On the crate/leash situation- That was recommended by our adoption rep but as Sook will not come out of the crate with Jamie it is kinda a moot point and was discontinued. My mom or dad will usually come up and let Sookie out in the evening so she doesnt have to go soo long. I do have Jamie open the crate door and offer her a chance to come out but he will not force and if she declines we just leave her in the crate.

I took Sookie on a 5K run/walk a couple weekends ago and she did great. We saw a lot of people and she just looked at everyone but didnt show any signs of real fear until we were back at the starting point and there was a big tall guy with a brush cut. Then she was trying to hide behind me and jump in the car.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice. I think we are just going to continue on with him completely ignoring her and trying to do more walks/car rides together where I am there and we are out and about and moving so she can work off some of the stress.

Guest Whistle

I went through this with my first hound and my boyfriend, who is now my husband. I've also had some fosters who were fearful of him. I also agree with the person the hound is fearful of ignoring the dog and not making eye contact. I bet she'll come around with time.

We also had an extremely shy grey who was very afraid of DH at first. I can't offer any thing other than what others had said, but Bailey eventually came around when DH let her do it on her own terms. Neither of us could walk her though, nor get her out of her crate. We literally had to carry her outside after we checked to make sure there weren't any people around or anything blowing in the yard or making scary noises. Love and patience worked and commitment to make her feel as safe as possible.

Brooke is very afraid of men and children, sometimes when she gets overstimulated, we need to find a quieter place to be and I just keep talking to her in a soft, assuring manner, trying not to coddle her too much.

She may always be "your" dog, sometimes you just have to accept that.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross