Kennel Cough

Guest sheila

Guest sheila

I spoke with my neighbor last night who told me their little 5lb fluffy thing has kennel cough. He is certain that 'fluffy' caught it from my dogs. I beg to differ. Jane was vaccinated for this in Dec and seen by my vet in Jan. for a 'well dog' check. Billy is not current with this vaccine ( I don't vaccinate for it unless my dogs are going to be around other dogs which they typically are not) and Billy was just at the vet 2 wks ago for other shots and given a clean bill of health. Neither of my dogs seem to be ill in any way.

My neighbor has also dog sat for another little fluffy 2 wks ago, yet remains convinced that his dog contracted kennel cough from my dogs because we share a fence and Billy runs the fence line with fluffy. The dogs never get close enough to even sniff noses (because fluffy just yaps at the fence and runs off) , therefore I'm thinking the neighbor is full of it and his dog got kennel cough from the dog they kept a few weeks ago.

All that aside, should I go ahead and get Billy vaccinated for this now that I know the dog on the other side of the fence has it? They never get any closer than 6' to each other.

Guest Swifthounds

How can I put this nicely? Your neighbor is an idiot. But, you knew that.

The kind of exposure you describe is not likely to transmit the kennel cough. Even dogs within the same household with an infected dog are not all that likely to catch it as long as they are healthy overall. The kennel cough vaccines don't take effect immediately and don't cover all strains, so it's likely a lot of worry and effort on your part for an illness your dog is unlikely to have contracted. I wouldn't socialize with the neighbor dog, but I wouldn't fret about it either.

The kind of exposure you describe is not likely to transmit the kennel cough. Even dogs within the same household with an infected dog are not all that likely to catch it as long as they are healthy overall. The kennel cough vaccines don't take effect immediately and don't cover all strains, so it's likely a lot of worry and effort on your part for an illness your dog is unlikely to have contracted. I wouldn't socialize with the neighbor dog, but I wouldn't fret about it either.

Totally agree! Sounds like your neighbor is just looking to cause a fuss.

june

Guest BiancasMom

I agree their dog didn't get it from yours. Since their dog is fluffy, perhaps they went to the groomer recently? Maybe she got it there.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Couldn't have said it better myself.