Is This A Hot Spot?

Guest HeatherV

Guest HeatherV

This spot appeared on my boy Loki this morning as I was dressing him to go outside. I slid the coat on, a chunk of hair came off and this horrible blister thing was underneath. It's bleeding a tiny bit but doesn't look like an open wound, more like a blood blister. It's about the size of a dime. So I suspect it's a hot spot but I was hoping a more experienced dog person could weigh in.

As you can see in the photo he also had horrendous dandruff, which we have been treating with fish oil, but not long enough to see an improvement. Thank you for any input.

IMG_3445.jpg

I apologize if this image is too large. This is my first time posting an image to a forum.

Heather

Mom to the dudes, Phoenix and Loki

Edited by HeatherV

I don't think it's a hot spot - with a tuft of fur that came out, I'd guess it was a scab.

Welcome to greytalk! greenwave.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Yeah, a hot spot would be raw from licking.... Could he have gotten some kind of abrasion there? I dunno though . . . I'd be tempted to let a vet have a look (but that's my answer for everything as a relatively inexperienced and pretty neurotic dog mom).

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest HeatherV

Thank you for the responses. When I came home from work tonight it already looked less red and raw so I'm going to keep an eye on it and try to get his dandruff under control so he isn't so itchy. Thanks again!

Heather