Rawhides And Other Chews

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Ok, so my new girlies are big chewers, so this is a new challenge for me. I am not sure how to keep them occupied.

They are young, and get bored. They love to chew their bones, and it seems to keep them busy and happy. (Otherwise they get super restless, even after walks.)

So, I have been looking for chews. I have always been told that compressed rawhide bones were ok for them. When Patton (my bridge boy,) chewed on occasion we gave him compressed rawhide sticks, and he always did well with them.

However, are there other alteratives to keep them from getting bored with their chews?

They LOVE bully sticks. I get them from Costco. However, my one girl can chew one down to nothing in an hour, so they do not last long.

I was curous about rawhide. I was always told that the knotted bones were BAD, and not to be given. Its too easy for them to unknot the bones, and eat the rawhide too quickly. However, I have tried the rawhide 'retriever rolls' and they seem to hold up better to their chewing. They seem to be more compressed than the knotted bones. BUT, I was told to NOT give the 'natural' rawhide (the white ones,) unless the bag said they were actually made in America. I was told that rawhide made outside of America, is dipped in arsenic to get the white color. This could make greryhounds super sick, since they cannot metabolize it the same as other dogs. Is this true? If I give the 'white' rawhide bones, could I make them sick?

I need something clean, that they can chew on when they want. We always left Patton's compressed rawhide sticks out with no problems, ever, and that kept him happy. However, these little ladies I have are super chewers, so I want to make sure I am keeping them healthy and safe.

Thanks!

Kelly, Echo (the super chewer) and Travel (the quiet chewer)

Guest Swifthounds

Get thicker/longer bully sticks! Or, try some of the braided bullies. Antlers are good as well. Nylabone makes a line of bones made from a cornstarch base. They're 100% digestible, though not as natural or healthy for a dog, and can be pricey. Chicken leg quarters, fed raw (never cooked), are a good jaw exercise as well. I know I sound like a broken record, but we humans have "created" the need for adult dogs to have items solely for chewing by feeding a kibble diet, which, among it's other drawbacks, provides a notable void when it comes to exercise and physical and mental stimulation/enjoyment.

For a whole host of reasons, rawhide and Greenies present gamut of very dire possible outcomes. They just really, really are not very digestible. Rawhide is popular for a few reasons: 1) cheap for the consumer, 2) profitable use of hides not good enough for other uses, 3) lots of income for vets.

When I find a nice beef roast on sale, I will cut it into cubes and freeze it. When the dogs get bored I'll take some of the cubes and hide them around the yard for a meat popsicle scavenger hunt. Keeps them occupied for hours! Naturally we've had the discussion previously about no digging in the flower beds. Someday I might get brave and hide the chicken feet, but my neighbors might think that odd...

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

If you can stand the smell, hooves stand up very well. The only problem with that is that it means they are very hard, so you have to worry about tooth problems. That's the thing - as chewies get more durable, potential for tooth breakage goes up. Mine can finish a 2ft bully stick in an hour (that was one EXPENSIVE hour...) but the hoof, with supervision, has lasted quite a while. Smells like what the cow was walking around in all day, though...

Flavored large nylabone perhaps? Though I've never given one.

eta: yes, hooves can break pieces off. thanks for adding that. we've just had really bad luck with bully sticks. next chewie will be a flavored nylabone, as the tiny pieces that break off are totally inert and pass through their systems fine.

Edited by issy

Nylabones for extra large dogs are loved in this house! Appealing flavors (impregnated into the material); great to help keep teeth cleaner; and the hard Nylabones last a long time. (Well worth the price.) My hound chewers love the bacon flavored Nylabones. The fist shape seems easier for them to hold upright with their paws. Nylabone has a new "turkey leg" shape, which looks even better! Nylabone flavors have come a long way over the years. They are much more appealing to dogs these days. If a hound is slow to show interest, a little peanut butter smeared on one side should help. http://www.nylabone.com/product-finder/my-dog-is/dog-large/finder-x-large.htm

Nylabones (hard) are much safer than rawhide (IMO).

(Rawhide should not be offered when dog is not being supervised, and many vets alert people to take rawhide away when it gets soft so it doesn't cause choking or internal blockages.)

I'm in the camp of only giving digestible chews. So, jumbo thick bully sticks (they last a good while even for Simba, my extreme power chewer), raw turkey necks (last longer if they're given frozen), and freeze dried tripe (not long lasting, but overall very good for the hounds). I have elk antlers for them as well, but my pups don't sustain interest in them the way they do with bully sticks. It does sound as though your pups might really like them, though, and they certainly last and last and last without becoming messy or smelly.

Guest KsFrets

If you know any hunters, and can get deer antlers, that's the best chews we've ever had that are indestructible. We give our dogs supervised rawhide... but NOT the potato chip thin super light imported garbage sold now adays at the large volume pet stores. Pick it up and see how heavy it is. It should be as heavy as it looks. We have a small local pet store that carries good thick heavy American made rawhide, it doesn't break apart into choke sized pieces like the thin crap. Magnus can destroy a Pet Smart rawhide bone in less than 30 minutes. It takes him several months to work through a good quality rawhide bone. We recently threw all hoofs in the trash after Lisa managed to break off a piece, swallow it, and then thank GOD she threw up the sharp piece.

No rawhides(of any kind here), no hooves,, (they can splinter),,, no greenies ( I know two people who's dogs got bloat,,, not saying it was from greenies,,, but the bolat occured after they had greenies) I vote with Swifthouns,,, thicker bully stix, IMHO :)