Footpad Ouchie...quick Question

Guest freightsmom

Guest freightsmom

Our foster, Cruise, must have done something in the yard and now I see that one of his pads is almost "skinned" off. 3/4 quarters of it is totally loose but it's hanging on by the top of the pad. Should I just leave it alone?

Aim did this once but the whole pad came off, not sure about one that is just hanging on....poor baby is limping and bleeding a little :(

Roscoe has done this several times, and Sage just last week. Probably from running like crazy and coming to a screeching halt!

Anywho, I cut off the 'flap', clean it w antibacterial stuff, put some ointment on it, and either wrap it or put a baby sock on. You just want to prevent crud from sticking to it, keep the ointment from coming off too soon, and let some air at it. I just clean it up everytime we come in from walkies and before bed and in a couple days it starts to toughen up.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest greytloves

Can you post a picture so those gurus out here can see it? There are some wonderful people out here that can really give great advice, but I know they would like to see it!

Other then that....poor baby. Baby socks are the bomb!

Guest mbfilby

Mickey injured her pads like this last year. Clean well and apply triple antibiotic. We left the flap on, on the pads that still had flaps. Others were skinned completely. We used toddler socks with the grips on the bottom and vet wrapped them in place. Clean and reapply the ointment twice a day.

After they were mostly healed and the socks were no longer needed we used bag balm which was recommended here. Walgreens carries it.

Edited by mbfilby

Guest Energy11

OUCH!! Sorry to hear about this!

Here is a little something from my first aid presentation from Mt. Hounds... hope it helps!

Torn Pads; Pulled Nails, Corns, and other foot injuries:

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound.*You can stop bleeding from pulled toe nails with Quik Stop. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury. For small objects stuck in the pad like glass, and other debris, soaking in Epsom Salts helps greatly, and sometimes, the objects will come out on their own.

Ouch! That makes my feet hurt! Hoping for quick healing!hope.gifhope.gifhope.gif

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest freightsmom

Thanks for all advice everyone! Did the antibiotic and baby sock thing ($1.75 for 2 pair at Walmart, what a deal) but he was limping enough for me to realize that the pad needed to come off. Kinda like a big hang nail and you know how those darn things hurt. Went to the vet this morning, she took a scapel and took care of the ouchie for him.

She also mentioned that his front lymph glands were a little enlarged. That caught me off guard.... however, she said that was to be expected since the body reacts to the foot injury by trying to increase the white blood cells to address the injury. Just wondering if anyone else has had this situation with the lymph glands?

Thanks!

Guest greytloves

Good. Glad you took him to the vet. Foot issues can be nasty too clear up. Much better to get your vet on it sooner then later.

Did you get antibotics?

I guess it makes sense for the lymph glands to be working extra hard. After I had my leg repaired, my body reacted to the implants and my sed rate when sky high until removed. So maybe, lymphs are acting the same way? I would certainly do a follow up on that once the foot is removed. Just to make sure.

Guest freightsmom

Good. Glad you took him to the vet. Foot issues can be nasty too clear up. Much better to get your vet on it sooner then later.

Did you get antibotics?

I guess it makes sense for the lymph glands to be working extra hard. After I had my leg repaired, my body reacted to the implants and my sed rate when sky high until removed. So maybe, lymphs are acting the same way? I would certainly do a follow up on that once the foot is removed. Just to make sure.

She did not give me any antibiotics but she also knows I have the greyhound version of Walgreens :lol

She said to watch and call her at any sign of infection.

Skin has already started to granulate which is good sign.