Honest Kitchen - Embark

Guest azlorenz

Guest azlorenz

Our Flash was diagnosed with Osteo 7/14, is post-amputation and undergoing chemo. He is currently on a combination of California Naturals Lamb (Grain Free) and Evo Red Meat Formula (Grain Free, Lowest Carb). The EVO Red Meat has such a high protein content but has the lowest total carb content on the market. I'd really like to switch him over to Embark as it is lower protein but higher carb. I'm going to run all this by the oncologist tomorrow at our chemo appt. I was just wondering how in the world to institute the switch from dry kibble to Embark without causing total mayhem in his belly.

Guest mcsheltie

Do a slow switch. Add a small amount of HK to his kibble. And increase the amount slowly to bowel tolerance.

Do talk to your oncologist. Cancer diets contain moderate HIGH quality protein, low carbs and high amounts of fats. Especially omega 3 or n-3 fatty acids. You want to keep weight on them with fats, not carbs.

To use the HK for this I would go with HK's recommendations of adding fresh meat. I would cook the meat for a cancer patient.

This is a top quality company. They are the only pet food manufacturer in the world whose product is produced in a plant that besides HK, makes only human food.

I have been feeding some of their Thrive with my raw. With the goal of being able to use it when they had to stay at the sitters. No one had any issues with the slow addition of it. I started with 1/8 cup and increased it by that amount every three days. My dogs haven't been eating any grains or veggies so I went very slowly! I had visions of 12 dogs with diarrhea in the night :o

Guest azlorenz

Thank you!! I wish the Embark had a lower carb content but it is still lower than most No Grain formulas. So glad to hear your crew did the switch with no tummy troubles. Can't imagine what 12 with the Big D would have been like. Thanks again.

Guest mcsheltie

Thank you!! I wish the Embark had a lower carb content but it is still lower than most No Grain formulas. So glad to hear your crew did the switch with no tummy troubles. Can't imagine what 12 with the Big D would have been like. Thanks again.

And I don't want to find out either!

When you add fresh meat the carb count goes down exponentially. So it may not be bad when all is said and done. It is complex carbs.

Guest Becky__R

I'm sorry that your puppy is on Chemo and had an amputation. The above advice is good-slow and steady wins the race. Maybe add a little yogurt to the diet to reduce the tummy grumbles. Get low-fat, plain varieties. Protien count is good in yogurt, as well as a low carb amount, too

• 2 weeks later...