Curious Whether My Grey Show Coursing Behavior

We've had Tracker (only dog) for 4 months now, and due to toe problems (he ultimately needed a toe removed) and recovery time he hasn't had any opportunity for off leash running. We live in rural, coastal California, where the nearest dog park is too far away to be a regular option, besides, everybody warns about dog parks, and I, being a novice dog owner, don't want to take any chances. So we signed him up for a once a week dog day care situation where he can play with "approved" other dogs in an outdoor field. He went today for the first time. He had no interest in all these exuberant, ball obsessed retrievers, but took an immediate liking to the only hound there, an Irish wolfhound lady. She's much like him, no surprise, being a hound, quiet and gentle and more interested in sleeping and taking things easy.

1. When I looked up her breed on Wikipedia, it said there that when hounds get to play together, it is not uncommon for them to course another dog. Has this happened for anybody in this group?

2. Tracker hasn't, over the months, not quite come out of his shell yet in terms of playfulness, and that's fine. My question is: is there some potential for his really not liking all this other, in his mind, over the top rambunctious behavior (apart from Lili's) and being stressed (or bored) rather than enjoying it? I'll definitely give it some time; only time will tell, but I'm curious about others' experiences. Maybe, as long as there's at least one other hound, that's all he needs.

Guest krystolla

My grey will try coursing -- or at least running -- with any other dog he can get to run with him. No other sighthounds in our neighborhood, unfortunately, but he tried very hard to run with the corgi-mix next door. It was odd to watch, they were playing slightly different games at the same time -- Hack doesn't understand herding.

He still loves to go visit Leo next door despite the rambuncious behavior, but we don't let them run together anymore because Leo (the corgi mix) was getting frustrated and trying for ankle-biting (common herding technique that would be fine on SHEEP :lol ). I think Hack enjoys watching the crazy behavior as long as it's not on top of him -- it's the doggy version of reality TV.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

My pack will absolutely gang up on and go after any screaming, nutty, scared dog. I make sure no such dogs around before letting mine run for sure. I have dogs that would absolutely never do that on their own, but the same dogs will join in a pack attack. This is not just true of sighthounds.

Guest KennelMom

I'm not sure I understand why you are asking the question....what was his behavior towards the IW?

but to answer your questions...

1 - Yes, I've seen hounds course other hounds

2 - It's possible he won't like or will be disinterested in playgroup with other breeds. Some/many greyhounds really prefer the run and play with other greyhounds. Some greyhounds aren't playful at all. They may love to run/race with other dogs and that's their form of "play."

Edited by KennelMom