Vitamins?

Guest Dana

Hi guys. I hope everybody is doing well. I have been really busy with my two new boys, Claude and Moe. I love them both already. I still miss John terribly. Yesterday was the first day I didn't cry over him. He was my first grey love and he will always be my special boy, I will NEVER forget him.

With that being said, it seems that I am a little paranoid about these new boys. I know that if they are going to get osteosarcoma there probably isn't much you can do about it, but, I have been thinking about vitamin supplements. Is there any concensus out there on some good ones.

I feed Blue Buffalo mixed with cooked organic chicken breasts, rice, and carrots. Any thoughts from any of you on supplements?

Guest BooBooMama

This is what my wholistic vet recommends: First try to avoid chemicals and preservatives whenever possibly. Feed foods high in antioxidants. I add salmon oil to Deeni's food and I also feed her a food mix that contains blueberries, carrots, broccoli and butternut squash- all high in vitamins and minerals essential for boosting the immune system. Others on this board who feed the raw prey model will argue that fruits and veggies are not neccessary for dogs but I decided to go this route at my vet's recommendation.

Guest mcsheltie

There are enough vitamins and minerals in kibble, usually an overly abundant amount, so you do not need to add those. I would suggest adding a good quality fish oil, as kibble has a high Omega 6 to 3 ratio.

One thing I have been reading about is adding red raspberry seed powder. It will add phytonutrients and ellagitannins to the diet. An increasing body of evidence such as research from the Hollings Cancer Institute at the Medical University of South Carolina shows that ellagic acid holds promise as an anti-cancer agent. Look for Meeker red raspberry seed powder.

Many folks will disagree with me, but I believe that the prevalence of osteo in greys, and other animals, is due, at least in part, to the preservatives and other artificial additives in kibble, as well as the preservatives and other artificial additives in the treats so many of us feed our hounds. This is one of the reasons I feed mainly raw food, with as little preservative as I can find, and all-natural treats.

There are enough vitamins and minerals in kibble, usually an overly abundant amount, so you do not need to add those. I would suggest adding a good quality fish oil, as kibble has a high Omega 6 to 3 ratio.

The key is to increase your hound's intake of Omega-3. They already get enough Omega-6. The idea is to increase the Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio. A good quality fish oil (salmon or anchovy), sardines, mackerel, herring, or anchovies, are an excellent source of Omega-3. You cannot overdo the Omega-3 intake, so you should not worry about that. The same is true with humans.

Edited by RWM