Sleeping Through The Night-2

Guest GiannaF

Guest GiannaF

I read the other 'sleeping through the night' thread in search of answers. My husband and I don't know what to do anymore....the dog wakes up every 2-3 hours during the night with relentless crying. Right now we are getting up three times before our alarm goes off. We keep the dogs in our bedroom at night and the male dog is the one we have the problem with. We've tried everything we can think of--giving food right before bed (we thought the issue may be hunger), keeping him in the crate, trying to ignore the crying, running around with him before bed, giving a little food before bed and the first time he wakes up, etc. The dog is like the energizer bunny---he does not stop! If anyone has any ideas, we would appreciate it!

If he's that energetic, it sounds like he needs more exercise. I don't know if you have a yard or live in an apartment but getting him out walking or running would help a bit. Make sure he's not whining because he has to go to the bathroom. I also have a very verbal pup and the only way I trained him to stop whining, talking, barking through the night was a squirt bottle filled with water. I know it sounds harsh but I tried everything with him and this was the only thing that worked. Every time he started whining or barking I would squirt him and tell him "quiet". It took about 4 nights of doing this over and over before it clicked with him and now he's quiet at night, unless he has to go potty.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee