Just Need To Hear Some Encouraging Thoughts

Guest Pandasmom

Guest Pandasmom

My 3 year old grey Larry started having seizures on Sat night. He has had 2 more since. Vet put him on phenobarbitol. Usual side effect is lethargy but Larry is pacing and whining and seems very nervous. Vet is going to call me back soon but I just need to hear some encouraging thoughts now. Larry is one of my kids. He's the best dog I've ever had.

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about Larry!

Sometimes, Phenobarb can have the reverse effect on dogs, and people, too. Our Curfew was put on it last year, but I am not convinced his "episodes" are seizures. Anyway, he was pretty antsy on it, and he was also on a pretty high dose to maintain the correct levels in his blood.

Also, it takes time for the Phenobarb to reach theraputic levels in the body. Could also be that Larry hasn't been on it long enough as well.

And, sometimes, pacing, whining and panting can be indicative of seizure activity coming on. There are many really good seizure experts on this board who can probably add a lot more to this.

Good luck, and sending lots of love and hugs to Larry!

:bighug

I hope the vet can figure out a way to make Larry more comfortable.

Good luck!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest PreciousMom

Hi,

I have Jackson who has seizures. It takes awhile for them to get used to the pheno. PM me or email me greyhoundadoption@gmail.com if you have questions.

Take care,

Sue

Lots of good thoughts for Larry. Hopefully the phenobarbital kicks in quickly and he'll get some relief. We have a lot of experience with seizures. If I can be of any help, please let me know.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest kydie

Poor Larry :grouphug to you both, pheno, does as posted by others, takes awhile to kick in, but there are other meds available if that is not the med for him

Guest Pandasmom

The phenebarbitol has seemed to stop the seizures but he just can't quit pacing. Vet said to up the does since what he gave me was for a smaller dog and to see if that helps. He has gotten in his bed a couple times for about 30-45 mins each but that's it. And he finally ate the treat I got for him this morning. Maybe things are getting better. One question I have is why did this start all of a sudden?

He is at the right age for dogs who will eventually be diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy (seizures with no known cause) start to seize. Most dogs diagnosed are between the ages of 3 - 5 years of age. My Saint was 3 when he started having seizures in the racing kennel. He is diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy but has been controlled with the help of phenobarbital and potassium bromide for the past 5 1/2 years.

I know you're probably scared out of your mind. The best thing to do is research all you can on seizures and learn as much as you can about them. Your vet raised the dose of phenobarbital because it sounds like he is feeling the seizures coming on, which would account for the pacing and panting. If he has another seizure you can help him once it's over by giving him a little ice cream, it will raise his blood sugar levels back up because they will drop during the seizure. He will also pant and pace because he's trying to cool off because his temperature will rise during the seizure. If he's having grand mal seizures (convulsing), he's not feeling any pain. The brain is short circuiting and he's not able to see, hear, feel, taste or smell anything. He'll probably be tired after the seizure and want to sleep, that's normal.

Here is a site you can go to get more information on seizures.

LINK

If I can be of any more help, please let me know.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

There are MANY reasons for seizures.

You can think of a seizure as a kind of short circuit in the brain, that makes the brain's "electrical system" go haywire. WHY? It can be something organic (*something he was born with ... some type of abnormality in the brain that is just showing up). It can be from a old injury to the head. It can be from an electrolyte imbalance. It can be from a leison or tumor. And, it can be from a cause/factor you may never find. Without an MRI, which is EXTREMBLY expensive, ... it is hard to say. Sometimes, even the MRIs don't reveal the source.

Seizures CAN be controlled! That is the good part. It just takes time to see WHAT works, and how much. It is also a good idea to ask your vet about liquid Valium, which can be administered trans-rectally (via the rectum) to stop a bad seizure. It is very good to have around!

Hope this helps a little. Many people on this board have seizure dogs, and they are well-controlled. Many people also have a seizure disorder, and they too, can be well-controlled.

Good Luck and hang in there!

Edited by Energy11

You certainly came to the right place to learn about seizures! Hope Larry reaches a dosage that will make him more comfortable.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest kydie

Hope things are going O.K. :goodluck been thinking of Larry! Seizures can strart, as some have stated for no apparnt reason, some breeds are more likley to develope him, GSP's are one breed I know of, for sure ,that it is genetic, it would be interesting to know if any of his siblings have seizures, :huh just a thought

Please don't fail to have a full thyroid panel done. As Judy mentioned in your thread in Intro & Bio, hypothyroidism can provoke seizures. (Our Spencer had mild ones before he was found to be hypothyroid at age 5.) Stronger seizures would be so compelling that it might be tempting to just treat them to make them stop! Totally understandable. But if there is an underlying reason for them other than actual epilepsy, it would be best to find it.

And btw, Judy knows *a lot* about epilepsy, so listen to her! smile.gif

Lots of encouraging thoughts and prayers coming your way,

Mary

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).