Biting At Her Tail

Guest MyCody

Guest MyCody

JJ has been biting at the base of her tail and I cannot see any fleas, ticks or flea dander.

I do see some small scabs and put some Neosporin on it last night. Any ideas? I'm thinking of taking her in to her vet but just wondering if anyone has experienced this with their pups.

Thanks

Just went through a nasty bout of this with my boy - he gets seasonal allergies, so it's really bad in the spring. He just gets itchy all over and chews himself relentlessly, causing scabs and sores. A few weeks of a good antihistimine and Genesis spray brought him around.

Note, too, that nerve impingement can cause numbness and tingling at the tail, so make sure there's nothing weird going on, such as LS or a disc issue.

Good luck!

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Energy11

Funny that you mentioned this!

Goldie is doing the same thing (the underside) of her tail. I looked very closely, and there is really nothing there, and no fleas. Her eyes have been a bit watery too, so I am attributing it to allergies.

You could try giving 50 mg of Benedryl (regular or generic/not allergy sinus), every four to six hours.

Good Luck, but it does sound like allergies. IF she is allergic to fleas, though, ONE flea can cause a reaction.

A hundred years ago when I was a wee little girl with no money, a kindly vet suggested tea bags to calm itchy skin. Just steep, cool and apply to itchy area - you have to hold it on the area for as long as possible.

This time of year is murder on the kids that have the "itchies". I have one who is constantly biting, chewing or scratching. Here in FL I still "assume" fleas so I bathe with De Flea Shampoo (it's a stool softener base) and treat with Advantage monthly and mist ever-so-lightly with Adams before our nightly walks. This is the third year using that protocol and it''s working so far. Once a bug magnet, always a bug magnet, but she's much more comfortable.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Jack did this last year and ended up being fleas even though we could not see anything. After combing him over and over, we finally found the little buggers.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest MyBoys

My Henry started doing this so I mentioned it to my vet when he was in for a wellness check a few weeks ago, thinking it might be allergies. First thing she did was check his anal glands and sure enough they needed to be emptied. She said they were not to bad but it will cause him to bite back there, he has not been biting since then, that might be something to check for.

Edited by MyBoys

Guest Sunset123

Arrisa's done the same thing a couple of times. We've had to keep it covered until it healed or else she'll just keep chewing up her skin (we use a pair of drawstring shorts). I have some colloidal oatmeal and aloe shampoo that helps soothe the skin, and antihistamines seem to help a little, too.

Guest MyCody

Thank you so mucheveryone, this has been very helpful. Will look again and again for fleas and will check about allergies.

Thanks again, you people are wonderful.

Guest dmona

As someone else mentioned, it could be the anal glands. I have to have my boyz expressed every six weeks and I can tell when it's time as they start licking under their tail. Hope you find your answer.