Shaking Real Leg

Guest greyhoundude

Guest greyhoundude

Hi folks. My eleven year old Greyhound, Tom, has an issue with his right rear leg shaking. As time passes, it seems to be happening more often....it's definitely chronic. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, has no limp, can still run a bit. He receives all the usual supplements (glucosamine, msm, chondroitin), along with Duralactin. Very occasionally (after a longer walk or appears to be laboring a bit) he receives a Deramaxx tablet.

I've heard this could be a symptom of lumbosacral stenosis.

Any ideas/suggestions?

As always, thanks in advance!

Edited by greyhoundude

That happens with our LS dog, Spencer, when he's overdue for an acupuncture session. It mainly shows up if he has stood in one place too long (e.g., 10 minutes) while I yak with a neighbor while we're out on a walk. Maybe your vet should evaluate him for LS. Good luck!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about this.

Could be LS, but also just arthritis. Our Dasher, 13, when we adopted him, had a bad shaky leg(s), but it wasn't LS. Dr. B said it was arthritis, and he prescribed Deramaxx, and of course glucosamine.

GLAD your boy is on supplements, and the Deramaxx. Maybe x-rays next? Hard to say, as you are doing everything right! Tom might need the Deramaxx daily now. Sending love and hugs his way!

Edited by Energy11

Guest greyhoundude

Thanks for the replies so far!

Of course the topic should be "Shaking REAR Leg." Loose nut behind the keyboard, I guess :) Evidently I'm not allowed to edit the topic...

More info on Tom: his leg shakes whether he is standing on it or not. He can be lying on his side and his leg will begin to quiver, even though he's NOT "dreaming"....it shakes/quivers even though no weight is being placed on it.

I think you have to be a Greytalk Supporter to have privileges like editing. And after 20 or so posts, you can send and receive personal messages (PMs). I hope someone pops up here who has some experience with that kind of leg shaking.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest kydie

My boy has a shakey front right leg, it appears after he has had his head bent over and sniffing the ground for a long period of time, never really thought about it much, he too receives all the supplements, but he is 6 years old, Please do't seem me flip here , but your pup is 11? as YOU , age, like me< all your part don't work so well either, if he was mine, and he is NOT in pain, or having ANY trouble moving, I wouldn't worry about it, just me here

I think you would need to ask your vet really.

To me if would be one of these things:

1) A focal seizure.

2) Something like my Grey does sometimes when she's just raring to be set free to run and I don't let her (I call it loose wiring like when they're dreaming). It may be linked to a propensity for seizure type activity.

3) Pain. Either due to a pinched nerve or muscle damage... even a little bit of cramp... or an arthritic joint if it's a gouty type with uric acid crystals.