Vaccine Question

Guest lasharp1209

Guest lasharp1209

[Realized I posted this in the wrong area... can't figure out how to delete it though, but I did repost in the Health/Medical section. If someone can tell me how to delete it, I will. Thanks :) ]

Blade has a wound on his leg that started off as a scratch and due to excessive licking, turned into a much larger red, raw area of his leg. Took him in to the vet and got him on antibiotics, plus kept muzzled with stool guard anytime we couldn't watch him. The wound improved, but when we thought it was okay to let him off the muzzle a bit more, turned out he started licking again and we're back to muzzling now and treating again.

Which leads me to my question... he is overdue on his bordatella vaccine. I wouldn't be as concerned except we board him when we go out of town, which is several times this summer. Should I wait until he is completely over this leg thing before vaccinating, or would it be okay for him to go ahead and get the vaccine while we're dealing with this?

It never was an open wound - has bled a little but just from the rawness of the skin, not because there is a cut or anything.

Edited by lasharp1209

Guest lasharp1209

Blade has a wound on his leg that started off as a scratch and due to excessive licking, turned into a much larger red, raw area of his leg. Took him in to the vet and got him on antibiotics, plus kept muzzled with stool guard anytime we couldn't watch him. The wound improved, but when we thought it was okay to let him off the muzzle a bit more, turned out he started licking again and we're back to muzzling now and treating again.

Which leads me to my question... he is overdue on his bordatella vaccine. I wouldn't be as concerned except we board him when we go out of town, which is several times this summer. Should I wait until he is completely over this leg thing before vaccinating, or would it be okay for him to go ahead and get the vaccine while we're dealing with this?

It never was an open wound - has bled a little but just from the rawness of the skin, not because there is a cut or anything.

Guest PiagetsMom

I don't have any advice on the vaccination, but just a suggestion - maybe for future use. Piaget recently got an open bobo on her ankle and I found the EMT Spray worked really well......it kept her from licking, which she was doing constantly and making it worse, and the wound has healed well.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I probably shouldn't stick my opinion in here, I won't give the Bordatela vax period. Consequently, I always get petsitters supplemented by family members, and have them stay at the house when I am away.

I'm very reluctant to stress their systems with any kind of vaccine when they are recuperating from... anything.

the EMT Spray worked really well......it kept her from licking, which she was doing constantly and making it worse, and the wound has healed well.

I cant address your real question, as I dont know about whether the bordatella vaccine might affect wound healing; although it seems to be a controversial vaccination (among others). However, there isnt much you can do if you need to board or if your city requires it (as mine does).

However; EMT gel and spray are great stuff, but for some reason, my girl LOVES the smell and taste of it, so it just makes her want to lick more go figure, shes a weird one. To keep her from licking I apply clove oil around the area, and it works really well. This was recommended to me a couple years ago by another greyhound person, and after checking into it, it supposedly has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Also, before trying it on her, I tried it out on a cut on myself to make sure it didnt sting or cause any other negative reaction. Anyway, I thought Id mention this in case you have an odd one like Twiggy.

ETA: I don’t put the clove oil on the actual wound, just around the area.

Edited by TwiggysMom

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties