Resetting The Pack Dynamic

Guest Happytails

Guest Happytails

I am away at the moment so I haven't seen first hand what is happening but certain doggies seem to be thinking they are of a higher rank than some of the humans!

Walli as has been written about before has always been a bit bossy and tends to bark at clients of my wife. However she has now apparentyl taken to barking at the back door when she wants to be let in, and seems to be more agressive.

Sully has taken to sleeping by a chair and so far has growled when the MIL tried to sit in the chair he was sat by and then growled at DW when she was moving a dog bed for Bunny to sleep on for the night. DW gave her angry voice and he stopped.

I think there are two sides, one is correcting the dogs but the other is behaviour and actions of the humans! Any suggests on how to get either, or preferable both to change. MIL excepted as she never listens anyway!

Guest KennelMom

NILIF is a good place to start (nothing in life is free). Though, IMO, influence over a dog is mostly about energy, not rote actions....though, they can certainly be steps in the right direction that can then build the confidence in the person that they *can* actually change the way a dog behaves.

Guest jkbookshelf

Our two greys can sense the stability of humans and canines, and we totally trust their judgement. They're perfect M&G dogs and are quite friendly on their daily walks, but, if a person they think is unstable approaches, they go into their protector mode.

I also think, as was stated, they react to energy, especially fear. If they think you're afraid of them they place you below them on the ladder. That puts them in charge until you can adopt a calm assertive mannerism. They always need to know who's in charge and will continually test to see if they need to take over.