Msm And Other Supplements Labeled For Horses

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

The only issue I have heard about MSM is that it's a blood thinning agent.

So best to stop dosing for a few days before a surgery.

Guest Swifthounds

I find that MSM and CMO work better on a "pulse" usage. Two weeks or so at the high dose, one month or more at the maintenance dose, then a month to 3 months off and repeat. For that reason, I get my MSM separately rather than mixed with other supplements (except where it might be included at lesser dosages than a theraputic dose and is just there in support of the others).

If you're giving MSM or other joint supplements, it's also wise to give an absorbable vitamin C supplement. Although dogs make their own vitamin c (all mammals but humans and guinea pigs do), their ability to do so is impaired with age and also with stress.

Guest Swifthounds

The only issue I have heard about MSM is that it's a blood thinning agent.

So best to stop dosing for a few days before a surgery.

Very good advice. If there's a planned surgery, I stop all supplements 5-7 days before (or as soon as I know). Vitamin E has blood thinning properties and is included in lots of supplements and foods both as a supplement and as a preservative. If it's added as a preservative, it's not required to be listed. A bit as a preservative isn't a huge risk, but when you have multiple items that may include it, it can add up.

I find that MSM and CMO work better on a "pulse" usage. Two weeks or so at the high dose, one month or more at the maintenance dose, then a month to 3 months off and repeat. For that reason, I get my MSM separately rather than mixed with other supplements (except where it might be included at lesser dosages than a theraputic dose and is just there in support of the others).

If you're giving MSM or other joint supplements, it's also wise to give an absorbable vitamin C supplement. Although dogs make their own vitamin c (all mammals but humans and guinea pigs do), their ability to do so is impaired with age and also with stress.

What is CMO, please, and what are the high and maintenance doses of MSM?

Glucosamine and chondroitin didn't seem to do much for Shane. His acupuncture vet recommended MSM given with hyaluronic acid, as they work synergistically. He had also been getting Sam-e and Vit. C around the time of his shots for babesia a few months back. Suddenly he developed incontinence, as he did once before two years ago. Discontinued all supps and have been giving 1% milk twice a day for the phosphorus content, and the incontinence is slowly improving.

As he has walking problems, I'd like to resume the MSM and HA, but I'm afraid they may relate to the incontinence. (He was getting MSM, glucosamine and chondroitin last time he became incontinent too. Coincidence?) Any chance there could be a relationship do you think?

Don't mean this to be a hijack, btw. Hoping this info will also be something Xan would want to know.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Swifthounds

For Glucoslamine: make sure you're using glucosamine HCL - it's purer than the sulfate.

For giving MSM: 1000 – 2000 mgs a day, preferably given with glucosamine HCL & C - MSM addresses inflammation, glucosamine repairs cartilege and joints, and C supports both as well as healthy tissue.

CMO is Cetyl Myristoleate: 1000 – 2000 mgs a day for around three weeks at a time. It is known to lubricate joints, reduce inflammation, regulate immune system. You would also want to be giving at least glucosamine in conjunction with this. It can be tummy irritating.

I would also give fish oil in theraputic dosages.

I would start by introducing the fish oil, then the glucosamine, then shark cartilege, and then on to MSM and/or CMO. I would give at least 2-3 weeks between additions so that you will better be able to pinpoint the source of any problems.

Wow. This is a much bigger subject than I thought. Should have guessed! :P

Good to get everyone's experiences, since it really fills out the picture better. I'm assuming most of you are supplementing because of arthritis, or other observed stiffness, or joint discomfort? If you know what's wrong, maybe it would help to put that in your comment, so we can get a better idea what supplement/s people are finding successful or problematic with what problem.

For instance, Wabi has arthritis in her hips, which are malformed, causing a lot of bone on bone action. She mostly gets around amazingly well, never cries out, but I notice times when she's not as willing to get silly, or even get up. She's been on glucosamine (from Trader Joe's: 500mg 2x/day +chondroitin 400mg 2x/day +Vit.C 100mg 2x/day +manganese and copper) and fish oil (CostCo: 2000mg 2x/day). She's about 43 lbs, and 5 1/2 years old. I assume she's only going to get worse as she gets older, and she's not that old, so anything I start giving her now needs to be sustainably non-toxic. Oh, and she has no spleen, so that's a potential issue in dealing with drugs/supplements as well.

Visual reference. (Really, just an excuse to post a picture of my bbaaaaayy-beeeeee! :blush)

post-4431-12752445530552_thumb.jpg

(Our first meeting.)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.