Ear Flap Wound Healing

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Henry was attacked during a Grand Mal seizure by another dog on Thursday, and lost a chunk of the bottom of one of his ear flaps. Yesterday I changed his bandages for the first time and my heart broke to see how much he got chewed up. I wish I would have been home when it happened. :brokenheart Unfortunately it is the weekend, and I cant call my vet on weekends, and the emergency clinic does not give out advice, they ony tell you to bring in your dog. My vet said likely Henry would only need the bandage a couple days, but I really think after what I saw yesterday during bandage change, that he will need to stay bandaged longer than that.

Please give me tips and advice and product reccomendations and etc. He is already on antibiotics. I was thinking of running warm water over his ear during today's bandage change, and then do the iodine again, then gauze wrap, then vet wrap. I will take a picture of his ear when I change his bandage today. First I have to go to the pharmacy though and get more bandaging supplies. Reccomendation of products to get while I am at the pharmacy would be much appreciated. His wound is very moist, is this normal/ok?

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

If it's not bleeding I would leave it open and not wrap it.

Normally if it's wrapped they will be more prone to want to shake or scratch whatever is on their ear off.

Maybe some Peroxide just on the outside to remove any of the crusty dried blood and then the betadine/water spray to help fight off any infection. Just be careful not to get any water down the ear.

Glad it was just an ear that got tagged during the attack. Could have been so much worse :(

Hugs and healing thoughts to Henry

Guest Energy11

SORRY THIS HAPPENED!!

Here is some info. from my upcoming first aid semiar for Mt. Hounds. Henry could probably use antibiotics, so you can see the vet on Monday for some antibiotics and a follow up.

Ears:

Bites and cuts on the ears:

**Remember, ears, like any other extremities, WILL BLEED A LOT! DO NOT be alarmed, this is normal.( There are a lot of capillaries in ears, feet, face and tails). These little tiny blood vessels bleed a lot! Just hold pressure with your hands or a tissue, and the bleeding should stop.

**Always have the following on hand: Kwik-Stop, large 3X4 band aids, smaller band aids, Trypzyme-V spray or ointment, or triple-antiboitic ointment, and some conforming gauze, aka, Kling., or Tubular stretch Surgical bandage (*comes in different sizes and looks like a fish-net stocking). You can order different sizes on this website:

http://www.medplususa.com/list-index-p-Bandage_Retainers-cp-207.html. (Copy and paste for site).

* You can also stop minor bleeding with Kwik Stop, cover with antibacterial ointment of your choice, use a non-stick bandage or band aid, and affix the ear to the dog’s head with either, Kling (conforming gauze,) or the tubular stretch bandage. This will keep the dog from shaking off the bandage. Re-dress daily, and see your vet for an oral antibiotic and follow-up care.

Good Luck!

Guest bigorangedog

I just had an ear injury the other day. If it's not bleeding like a firehose (like ears sometimes do), I rinse them with saline (you can use eye saline), pat them dry, and then coat them with Kwik Stop powder (or cornstarch if no Kwik Stop is available). Then I give antibiotics and try not to disturb them again while they are scabbing over and healing. If necessary, I put a sock on the rear foot on the same side as the affected ear, so that if they try to scratch it at least they don't get it with their claws.

Guest EmilyAnne

Normally if it's wrapped they will be more prone to want to shake or scratch whatever is on their ear off.

Maybe some Peroxide just on the outside to remove any of the crusty dried blood and then the betadine/water spray to help fight off any infection. Just be careful not to get any water down the ear.

Glad it was just an ear that got tagged during the attack. Could have been so much worse :(

I am going to take a picture when I take off the bandage, post the picture, and find out if ya'll think I should leave it open. I was thinking about maybe letting him have 'open time' in which I wait an hour and sit with him before putting the bandage back on. I'm nervous about leaving it open when I am not right there, cause I worry about it getting dirty and such, cause it looks so bad. Dont want to take off the band aid till I get out to the store and restock bandaging supplies, for just in case.

SORRY THIS HAPPENED!!

Here is some info. from my upcoming first aid semiar for Mt. Hounds. Henry could probably use antibiotics, so you can see the vet on Monday for some antibiotics and a follow up.

Ears:

**Remember, ears, like any other extremities, WILL BLEED A LOT! DO NOT be alarmed, this is normal.( There are a lot of capillaries in ears, feet, face and tails). These little tiny blood vessels bleed a lot! Just hold pressure with your hands or a tissue, and the bleeding should stop.

**Always have the following on hand: Kwik-Stop, large 3X4 band aids, smaller band aids, Trypzyme-V spray or ointment, or triple-antiboitic ointment, and some conforming gauze, aka, Kling., or Tubular stretch Surgical bandage (*comes in different sizes and looks like a fish-net stocking). You can order different sizes on this website:

http://www.medplususa.com/list-index-p-Bandage_Retainers-cp-207.html. (Copy and paste for site).

* You can also stop minor bleeding with Kwik Stop, cover with antibacterial ointment of your choice, use a non-stick bandage or band aid, and affix the ear to the dog’s head with either, Kling (conforming gauze,) or the tubular stretch bandage. This will keep the dog from shaking off the bandage. Re-dress daily, and see your vet for an oral antibiotic and follow-up care.

Good Luck!

Thank you, very helpful!

I just had an ear injury the other day. If it's not bleeding like a firehose (like ears sometimes do), I rinse them with saline (you can use eye saline), pat them dry, and then coat them with Kwik Stop powder (or cornstarch if no Kwik Stop is available). Then I give antibiotics and try not to disturb them again while they are scabbing over and healing. If necessary, I put a sock on the rear foot on the same side as the affected ear, so that if they try to scratch it at least they don't get it with their claws.

It was bleeding like a fire hose initially. His whole head was covered in blood and there was a big puddle on the floor. It was a very fast large drip, bordering on pouring blood. I initially thought Henry's whole head had been attacked and for sure he would need a large number of stitches all over his head. It wasnt actively bleeding yesterday during bandage change, but I worry it wouldnt take much for it to start bleeding again.

Guest Energy11

Glad it was just an ear that got tagged during the attack. Could have been so much worse sad.gif

I am going to take a picture when I take off the bandage, post the picture, and find out if ya'll think I should leave it open. I was thinking about maybe letting him have 'open time' in which I wait an hour and sit with him before putting the bandage back on. I'm nervous about leaving it open when I am not right there, cause I worry about it getting dirty and such, cause it looks so bad. Dont want to take off the band aid till I get out to the store and restock bandaging supplies, for just in case.

SORRY THIS HAPPENED!!

Ears:

http://www.medplusus...rs-cp-207.html. (Copy and paste for site).

* You can also stop minor bleeding with Kwik Stop, cover with antibacterial ointment of your choice, use a non-stick bandage or band aid, and affix the ear to the dog's head with either, Kling (conforming gauze,) or the tubular stretch bandage. This will keep the dog from shaking off the bandage. Re-dress daily, and see your vet for an oral antibiotic and follow-up care.

Good Luck!

Thank you, very helpful!

When Goldie ripped Oakly's ear, I stopped the bleeding with Quik Stop, put antibacterial ointment on it, then, a large bandaid, and wrapped the ear to Oakly's head. It healed well, but, we did use Keflex antibiotic for seven days (*you vet can give you this).

Guest EmilyAnne

Btw, he is on antibiotics. He is taking Cephalexin three times daily. No problems with the antibiotics so far. )

Guest Energy11

Btw, he is on antibiotics. He is taking Cephalexin three times daily. No problems with the antibiotics so far. )

GREAT!!!

Guest bigorangedog

If I were you, I would try hard not to disturb the clot while you are changing bandage. Don't even clean off any dried blood or it will start gushing again. The cephalexin will take care of any infection. Just keep the bandage dry and you should be good to go.

Guest Energy11

My info came from a licensed vet, BUT, for ME, whatever works, works.

The one thing I WOUND NOT DO, and you can check this with your vet, is, use PEROXIDE. It will break up the much-needed clots. Warm water is fine, and sometimes, you don't even need that with the bandage changes. Good Luck! I healed Oakly's with the information I posted, but I did have the Trypvyme-V ointment, WHICH I SWEAR BY.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

My suggestion, just fyi, for the peroxide was for the blood that got on other areas of fur. Such as the head, neck, other ear, you know all the places blood will go when you have an ear injury.

NOT to treat the wound it's self.

My info just comes from years of working with kennel dogs, chatting with vets and well ya that's about it :D Working in the kennel with greyhounds it's normally once a week your dealing with dogs that have had their ears tagged or nibbled on by another hound.

I'm not a vet, never worked for a vet and never was a tech or EMT of any sorts. Just years of kennel work, nothing more nothing less, that's it

Guest EmilyAnne

Henry's bandage is off. It may be ok for it to stay off, but I want ya'lls opinion. Trying to download a picture. Btw, Henry did go to the vet. As soon as I saw the blood, I ditched everything, put Henry in the van and flew to the vet as fast as I could. The vet is closed for the weekend though, so I cant call him for more info/advice.

Guest Energy11

IF Henry's bleeding has stopped, and he is on antibiotics, you should be fine. I like to keep my wounds bandaged, because "junk" doesn't get into them that way, but just do the best you can, and things should be fine!

If he is bleeding, or the tear looks UGLY, or, he has a fever, ... well, you know ... then, an Evet, but to be honest, I don't see the need. IF you keep it clean, and dry, and he is on the antibiotic, he should be fine.

OH HENRY ... get better soon! colgate.gif

wound.jpg

wound2.jpg

I didn't see your photo before my last post, but, that looks ok. Just keep th antibiotic cream on it, keep it clean, and keep him on the antibiotics, and he should be fine until you can check with your vet on Monday. Good Luck! LOVE to HENRY!