Tummy Troubles

Guest hshirlow

Guest hshirlow

Sunshine hasn't been herself on and off again for this past week. This morning was the worst. She went outside and refused to come in - she just kept chowing down grass. Her stomach was gurgling and squishing. She refused to eat her dog food and just kept pacing at the door. Eventually she suffered with some diarrhea.

I took her to the vet. They aren't certain what's up, but they said it could be a bug. She's not on Metronidazole to help her tummy troubles. They are deworming her too, just in case. She usually loves her dog food and has been on it for 6 months with no issues (Blue Buffalo lamb and rice). On days when she's not feeling well, breakfast is the issue. She usually will chow down dinner with no problem, and actually acts like she feels better once we encourage breakfast down her.

My poor girl. I don't know what to do. I hope the vet is right and this is a bug and passes. We even just started her on Benedryl, for she does suffer from allergies and figured maybe the mornings were worse because of all the pollen.

Anyone experience this? Any advice?

Guest Energy11

I would try giving her a Pepcid AC (generic fine) 10 mg a.m. and p.m., and maybe a Gas-X (generic fine, too.

I'd keep her on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice and maybe some plain yogurt. I am not one for "fasting," as an empty stomach will have much, much more stomach acid in it. Your vet should have suggested canned Science Diet ID or the Purina version, EN. Both are VERY good for upset tummys.

Hope this helps!

p.s. there IS a "bug" going around, from what I have heard, though. Good Luck!