Discovering A Greyhound Behaviour.

Guest TeddysMom

Guest TeddysMom

I took Teddy, Spice and Mandy for a walk together for the first time since Teddy got hurt a few minutes ago and am rather amazed at the girls behaviour. We started out as always, Teddy in the lead with the girls lagging behind. We got near my neighbors house and her dog, who is very sweet, came out and was barking, instantly Spice and Mandy came forward and got on either side of Teddy. Spice is such a spook that she usually gets behind me if anything unusual happens but I still figured it was just a fluke. We turned around and headed back the other way and my neighbor drove by, stopped to visit for a minute, once again Spice and Mandy flanked Teddy and stood their ground. Each time there was a preceived threat the girls came forward and got on either side of Teddy even though Spice is usually a spook about other people. Is this a common action in greyhounds since I have not seen this reaction with any of my other breeds. I just thought it was rather amazing.

Guest PhillyPups

I don't know about an injured dog, but I have had experience with one protecting the other.

My first, Runner and my first senior bounce were very bonded. At all times in public, Runner would stand between anyone and SugarBear. Sugs would put her head under his chin and when she felt secure he would turn sideways and Sugs could get pets. I always told people he was body blocking her.

I do not know if this is what is going on or not.

Guest Megatore

I took Teddy, Spice and Mandy for a walk together for the first time since Teddy got hurt a few minutes ago and am rather amazed at the girls behaviour. We started out as always, Teddy in the lead with the girls lagging behind. We got near my neighbors house and her dog, who is very sweet, came out and was barking, instantly Spice and Mandy came forward and got on either side of Teddy. Spice is such a spook that she usually gets behind me if anything unusual happens but I still figured it was just a fluke. We turned around and headed back the other way and my neighbor drove by, stopped to visit for a minute, once again Spice and Mandy flanked Teddy and stood their ground. Each time there was a preceived threat the girls came forward and got on either side of Teddy even though Spice is usually a spook about other people. Is this a common action in greyhounds since I have not seen this reaction with any of my other breeds. I just thought it was rather amazing.

that is amazing, it is nice to see that greys much like humans have protective genes as well

Guest Ashleigh

That's really sweet! I know when Hank hurts himself (usually just scratching his ear and lets out a little yelp) the Chihuahua and Pitbull will come up and sniff him, making sure he's ok and kisses his face. I love watching the pack at work!