Saddlebags For Greyhounds?

Guest judithb

Guest judithb

I have 2 Greys, Roy and Tessa. Tessa is new and still getting used to things. She has calmed down incredibly, and knows to pee and poop outside--EXCEPT WHEN THINGS ARE NOT ROUTINE!!!!! We live in NYC, so no off-leash walks, just long park and sidewalk walks. She is definitely better after exercise. I was just in the hospital again, had my wonderful dog sitter, and Tessa peed on the rug 2 or 3 times and also in the hall, waiting for the elevator. We have sequestered her in my foyer(with Roy) when my dog sitter is here. She's fine when I am here. I have seen Cesar Millan(Dog Whisperer) use saddlebags on dogs to give them a 'job' and extra exercise. Has anyone done this? Is it OK for Greyhound backs? Of course, it would be very light weights. Any other suggestions--she needs A JOB!!!! Thanks.

Judith

I would not put extra weight on a greyhound. But I would ensure that she is getting a lot more exercise, via frequent longer brisk walks.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I have back packs for my Samoyed and Siberian Husky, but I don't use them on our greyhound. They don't have that beef in the back like other stockier breeds and I'd hate to cause an issue. Having said that there are several greyhound coat makers that have been making lightweight "silks" that have pockets for poop bags and such. They just aren't made to be loaded down.

Milan talks about doing that with high-energy, working-breed dogs. The job of a sighthound is to run and chase things (or other dogs) -- that's what fulfills them and tires them out in an appropriate way. Never were they designed to carry weight.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Dragonmom

i used to have a "back pack" for winnie, it had her water in it and dirty poo bags in it, one on each side. it wasn't to give her a job though, just less for me to carry if i was having a bad day.

Guest judithb

Thanks for the input. I kinda thought their backs were pretty sensitive, since they don't like to sit. The dogs get 3 -4 walks a day. At least one is in the park. On weekends we walk 2 miles along the Hudson River. With my health being chancy, I can't always do that. But my babies are well-cared for, trust me. Last year when the EMS came with an ambulance to take me to the hospital, I wouldn't let them put me in until I saw that my dog walker was there. She's the one who called 911 and kept the dogs next to me until I left. We have a dog run in Riverside Park, but the owners and 'Dog Walkers' aren't always so good. My former Greyhound, Gracie was ripped open by a dog there, So---I have actually gotten up at 5:30 and taken them to the run on a Saturday or Sunday, and there are no dogs there. Can't do it when its too cold outside, or if I'm not feeling well. I also thought maybe I could teach Tessa some stuff, some games or something. The reason why I said 'a job' was because they need stimulus. Grace played ball in the house all the time. She actually was a retriever. She caught the ball on the fly. Amazing for a Greyhound! I know she is stressed right now, Tessa-Stressa, because she has lost more hair on her thighs.

Judith

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

What about obedience training? That will stimulate her, give her something to do, and at the same time confidence. If she already can do most of the basics, then advanced obedience, or even set up a small agility track (tunnels, ramps, etc.). Just a different idea for you to possibly try.

Chad

There are "enrichment" toys too - the balls that dogs need to work to get food out of, for example. Maybe if you can keep her mind stimulated with toys designed to do so, she'd benefit.

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Guest burgerandfrey

Probably a long shot if you live in the city, but is there any place close by that is fenced in where your greys can really run? That will tire them out more than anything else. Even if it's just for 30 minutes every few days. If that's not an option then walking more really is the best thing, and NYC should have plenty of dog walkers if you want to hire someone to give them extra walks.

We used to live in a small apartment in Washington, DC and were fortunate enough to live near a dog park that usually wasn't crowded at all. We ran our grey there quite a bit, but when the weather was nasty we actually ran her in the hallway of our apartment building! No kidding... we had a long hallway and I would get at one end and my wife at the other. We'd throw a tennis ball back and forth to each other, playing "Monkey in the Middle" with our greyhound who would sprint back and forth after the ball :colgate It was loads of fun for all three of us, but occasionally we would disturb a neighbor or two. Fortunately it only took about 10 minutes of that to tire out our girl.

Our first grey developed some back and neck issues around age 6, so we never considered putting a pack on her. We had to switch from a collar to a harness to avoid pulling on her neck and she got much better. The two greys we have now - our boy Zeke seems strong enough to carry a pack, but I don't know. It just doesn't seem like a greyhound's back was meant for carrying weight.

Sean

Guest mickie37

Teach your dog some tricks. Hide treats around the house and encourage them to find them. Get a muffin tin and put treats in it and cover the treats with toys or balls and teach your dog to remove the toys to get the treat. physical exercise is great but I find that I have to give my greys some mental exercise as well.

Good luck.

Guest judithb

Thanks, everyone. Your suggestions are helpful, and I'm working on some ideas. But NO backpacks!!!!

Judith

Guest kydie

I too think there are lots of "jobs" your pup can do, saddle baggs, I too vote a bid "no" these are for "working dogs", I have two hunters, and would never put then on them, of coarse, they would think I'd lost my mine :lol