Playbiting?

Guest Tokolos

Guest Tokolos

Sprinkles is really starting to come out of his shell and wanting to play more and more each day. Lately, he's started nipping when we play and run around. It isn't done in anger---you can see that he's trying to get our attention by saying, "Alright, CHOMP, now come and get me!"---but it can hurt and we'd rather he not get into the habit of biting.

Any thoughts on how to curb this but still keeping the play fun?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Any time he nips while playing, make a loud sharp "ouch" and immediately stop all play. Let him understand by stopping play for a minute. Repeat, he should get the idea. Of course it will take some time, he wont get it after 2 or 3 times, it will probably take more.

Chad

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Guest ajannik2

my girl does this too as she comes out of her shell-- i encourage "mouthy" play but if she does it too hard i "yelp" and stop and say "NO" I have also taught her its ok to bite and nip as long as it isnt hard-- however she isnt allowed to bite or nip near my face or head--- i know it sounds impossible but we play outside everyday and after about 2 weeks she got it--- however when i mow the lawn she nips at me to beat the band-- i cant figure it out--- she spooks easily sometimes but the lawnmower doesnt scare her one bit - go figure---- i read about the "YELPING" b/c thats how they play and when they bite too hard it lets the other dog know it.

my girl is awesome even though winds great than 12 knots scare her nuts

Guest TeddysMom

I ended up using a spray bottle to curb Teddy's nipping and biting, nothing else worked. If I screamed "ouch" and turned my back, he would just jump on me and bite my back or butt. Good luck, let us know what ends up working.