K9 Glucosamine

Guest DonSmith725

Guest DonSmith725

We recently adopted a retired racer and have been given advice to give her glucosamine as a preventive supplement. We purchased the "Liquid Health" brand which contains the HCL version of the glucosamine. I read that the HCL type is the best for dogs. The bottle recommends we give her 2 teaspoons per feeding (twice a day). Is that amount necessary for dogs where the glucosamine is being given for preventive measure? Any thought or advice from others that have retired racers would be appreciated.

Guest Energy11

Welcome! And Congrats on your Grey!

I have five, and I have been giving supplements since I adopted. Sounds like you are on the right track!

Hugs and good luck with your new baby!

Dee and The Five

Guest TheUnrulyHound

I buy the human stuff from Sams and give two pills daily to my older "crackly poppy" boy. it makes a big difference but it take a while to build up in their systems. Anyhow, I find that buying human grade in bulk is a lot cheaper.

ETA-it is the HCL type too

Edited by TheUnrulyHound

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I see you are in Naperville, did you adopt from GO? If you did, who did you adopt? As far as the gluco, I also buy human-grade stuff, except I am a Costco person, so I get the bulk glucosamine from there. Not much difference so either is fine.

Guest DonSmith725

I see you are in Naperville, did you adopt from GO? If you did, who did you adopt? As far as the gluco, I also buy human-grade stuff, except I am a Costco person, so I get the bulk glucosamine from there. Not much difference so either is fine.

We did adopt from GO. It is a fantastic organization to work with. We adopted Big Dog, who is now called Brinley. She was only at the kennel one day when she chose us. So, she might not have been on the GO website very long if at all. Thanks for the recommendation on the gluco.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I heard about her. Anyhow, if you ever need a hound sitter, great news, you live near one of the most experienced greyhound people in the suburbs. Her name is Dorothy. You can find her info in the "greyhound sitters" thread at the top of the "everything else" greyhound part of this site. I always mention her as she works with a greyhound group that GO adopts out for (if you ever come across a greyhound that had a broken leg or any other medical issue, you have a hound that was fostered at Dorothy's and started through CIGA), and any money she gets for watching hounds goes to the group. I also mention it to the new adopters as with summer comming up, people like to take vacations and sometimes the poor puppers need a fun place to stay. If you need anything feel free to call me - Chad 630-272-8178 (I am an adoption rep for GO).

Chad

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Guest sheila

It's my understanding that the quality and purity of of these supplements may vary widely. I would do research on the supplements you are giving to make sure that it is all that it is supposed to be. I will give you one link that kind of outlines what I'm talking about.

http://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/joint_supplements_glucosamine_chondroitin_and_msm/jointsupplements/

If I were to give this kind of supplement I would go with Greyhound Gang. It does cost more than the stuff you can get at a place like Walmart, but I think you are more likely to get the quality and purity and therefore the effectiveness that you want. Here is a link to their site. I have used them before and the shipping is quick and the customer service just can't be topped.

http://www.greyhoundgang.org/index.php