Peeing All Of A Sudden

Guest mary

We have two greyhound boys around 6 years old and have had them about 3 years. One of our boys is peeing in the house every afternoon when we are not here. This is new. Our vet ruled out UTI. He is only being left about three hours which is shorter than other times that he is left. Nothing new with our routines. I have not seen him in stress. He has always been our high energy boy and occasionally has chewed a book etc. We crated him after we concluded it was this dog and he also peed in his crate. Started Amitriptyline last friday and I just came home and he has peed again. Didn't have any accidents this weekend but we were home most of the time. Any suggestions? Any experiences with this?

Guest SusanP

Is he peeing unusually often when you are home as well? How often do you need to let him outside these days? Can he go 3 hours then? What about at night?

Is he peeing unusually often when you are home as well? How often do you need to let him outside these days? Can he go 3 hours then? What about at night?

He does not pee when we are home. He continues to go out as he always does (routine) which is when we get up around 5:30 a.m. then before we leave for work around 8:30, then at lunchtime around 12:30 at dinner around 4:30 and before bed around 9:30pm.He does not pee when we are at work in the morning, only in the afternoon. This is why it seems strange to me. He also holds it at night for 8 hours.

It looks like you have him on a 3 - 4 hour peeing schedule when you're home. That could be it right there. He knows the routine and when you're not there he just follows through? Have you tried putting on a belly band when you're away from the house? That might do the trick for you. Some hounds hate them and will hold their pee until you take them off.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It looks like you have him on a 3 - 4 hour peeing schedule when you're home. That could be it right there. He knows the routine and when you're not there he just follows through? Have you tried putting on a belly band when you're away from the house? That might do the trick for you. Some hounds hate them and will hold their pee until you take them off.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I wouldnt rule out a UTI just yet. What tests exactly did the vet use to determine the absense of a UTI? I ask because there are different tests that can be run, and even negative results are not 100% accurate. If you are sure that NOTHING has changed, except for the peeing, I would try additional tests. I believe they can do a bacterial culture and other tests, as opposed to just a needle aspiration or a stream catch test. GorgeofNE ran into this issue, hopefully she will see this and let you know what her results were.

Chad

Actually what I listed is our typical schedule for the week when we are working. This is when he is peeing. So he is out at 5:30 a.m. and we go and work out. And then between 8:30-12:30 we are at work without any accidents. My husband comes home at lunch to let them out. Then they are left again alone from about 1:30-4:30. This seems to be the problem. On the weekends our schedule is a bit different but we are home more and we don't seem to see as many accidents. We have increased the meds. and gave them a kong with treats in it this afternoon to try to occupy him as per a recommendation. I have not tried a belly band yet.

I wouldnt rule out a UTI just yet. What tests exactly did the vet use to determine the absense of a UTI? I ask because there are different tests that can be run, and even negative results are not 100% accurate. If you are sure that NOTHING has changed, except for the peeing, I would try additional tests. I believe they can do a bacterial culture and other tests, as opposed to just a needle aspiration or a stream catch test. GorgeofNE ran into this issue, hopefully she will see this and let you know what her results were.

Chad

The only test that they did was a stream catch test and then cultured it over night. I did speak to the vet about this again last night as I was wondering if this test would capture issue like kidneys. He didn't see anything that was a red flag but it would be great to know if there was specific tests that I should be asking him for since he certainly is trying to problem solve with me. I hope this other person you mentioned does respond if they have had an experience with this. I will check again if there are any posting on it.