Diarrhea

Guest Lily7435

Guest Lily7435

My greyhound has Diarrhea, she's had it since Friday as far as I know. Although it was a bit loose a week ago when we went to the dog park. She seems

better today as she isn't going to the door every 30 minutes or so like yesterday. I woke up to it yesterday AM and then this morning at 3 am and 6. We

also came home to it after being gone for 6 hours. Not a lot though, so I am hoping it is getting better. I have been feeding her ground beef and rice today. (I just

read it should be chicken and rice instead) She is drinking water as usual but when I checked for dehydration she is a little dehydrated. I am worried about her even though she is still acting completely normal. Is there anything else I can do to help her and do you think this can wait until Monday when the vet opens or should I call the answering service and have him paged? any help is appreciated. Also, she is 7 years old has all of her shots. There also isn't any blood or mucus in it.

Guest Energy11

The BIG concern here is the dehydration. If you think she is dehydrated, she might need to be seen and get sub q , or IV fluids.

I would definitely get some Gatorade or pedilyte and add it 50/50 in her water. If she is drinking, this will surely help rehydrate her. You could try this tonight, and then, see how she is by morning.

But, if she is lethargic, gums and inside of her mouth is dry, eyes "glassy" ... etc. It would be a good idea to have the vet paged.

If she won't drink, you can crush some ice and add the gatorade to it.

Hope she gets better SOON!

Guest jenznaz

Hi Lily7435! We're currently going through the exact same thing with our new guy. They always say fast them for 24 hours, then the bland diet. We're also using ground beef that we just cooked and drained the fat off, mixed with mushy rice. I've also been adding cooked, pureed sweet potato (you can use canned pumpkin). We're trying chicken broth mixed with water to get him to drink (ours is also a little dehydrated).

So sounds like you're doing everything you can right now. I'd think about the vet if lasts more than a couple days, or if you notice the blood.

We just started Flagyl; our guy's big D was going on a couple days.

Is your grey new to your home?

Guest Lily7435

The BIG concern here is the dehydration. If you think she is dehydrated, she might need to be seen and get sub q , or IV fluids.

I would definitely get some Gatorade or pedilyte and add it 50/50 in her water. If she is drinking, this will surely help rehydrate her. You could try this tonight, and then, see how she is by morning.

But, if she is lethargic, gums and inside of her mouth is dry, eyes "glassy" ... etc. It would be a good idea to have the vet paged.

If she won't drink, you can crush some ice and add the gatorade to it.

Hope she gets better SOON!

Hi, Thanks for responding. I gave Flicka some Gatorade last night. She wasn't really into it, so I fed it to her little by little. I also got her to eat 2 tangerines with one of my other dogs. Didn't know if this would be OK, but figured the fluids would help her. She seems much better and only had one accident over night and it was a small one. Hopefully, she keeps improving. My husband is walking her now, so I am waiting for a report. :)

Lily

Hi Lily7435! We're currently going through the exact same thing with our new guy. They always say fast them for 24 hours, then the bland diet. We're also using ground beef that we just cooked and drained the fat off, mixed with mushy rice. I've also been adding cooked, pureed sweet potato (you can use canned pumpkin). We're trying chicken broth mixed with water to get him to drink (ours is also a little dehydrated).

So sounds like you're doing everything you can right now. I'd think about the vet if lasts more than a couple days, or if you notice the blood.

We just started Flagyl; our guy's big D was going on a couple days.

Is your grey new to your home?

Hi, Congrats on your new Grey! We have had Flicka for about 4 years now. She seems to be doing better today. Only one accident overnight and it was a small one. I added cottage cheese to her rice mixture today as I remember using that in the past as well. I haven't fasted her and don't know if I could! She is such a freak when it comes to eating :) Thats how I can tell what time it is, she starts going insane around feeding time. We'll see how the next couple of days go. I hope yours improves as well. Thanks for your response.

Lily

Guest Energy11

Well, sounds like she is improving! GREYT news!

The tangerines couldn't hurt! They have juices in them, and natural sugars.

Some greys like the Gatorade, some don't ... My Bold Energy loved it!

Hoping for no more diarrhea! Hugs to you all!