Panting Hard

Guest dramaqueen

Guest dramaqueen

Does anyone know why my grey is panting every nite? She goes for her walks, eats poops & is perfectly normal except for that panting at nite. Could it be the change in the weather(warmer)? thanks

Guest Heehoo

She goes for a walk, eats poop & is perfectly normal except for panting.

Panting hard, I would be very worried about, sometimes that's a sign of pain or stress. Is your weather warmer right now? More than she's used to?

I think just to be on the safe side, I'd take her to the vet & have him listen to her heart. Panting hard is not a good sign.

Guest scfilby

Is she sleeping on your bed? Likely she is hot.. Our greys pant a lot at night if the room temperature is much above 70 degrees. But they sleep with us which keeps them warmer..

Guest Energy11

I DO know of another grey who pants heavily EVERY night! My Curfew!

He has had a few strokes/seisures/episodes ... no one knows for sure without an MRI. Anyway, he pants heavily EVERY night! I give him ice to lick, and, sometimes, a Valium 5 mg. to settle him.

My vet here thinks he has a brain lesion (*based on all of the above), ... huh.gif

Your greyt? Could be too hot in the house, anxiety, a lot of things. For My Curfew, it is a guess ...

I KNOW how this is, AND how scary! Hoping you baby gets through this soon!

Love, hugs and prayers! Dee and The Five

p.s. Anything else out of the ordinary with you Grey?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

There are so many variables that could cause panting. Is he new to your house (less than 2 months), have you changed the layout of the furnature? Has something started making different noises, such as an a/c unit, or furnace? Are you using a ceiling fan? Have you changed the times you usually go to bed? Outside the house, anything different such as a new dog barking in the neighborhood? Do you have noisy neighbors? Is anyone in your home changed schedules of any kind? I could go on and on with the environmental issues that could cause panting. If you have had your boy for longer than a few months, you should be able to determine his "typical" behavior, if it is different, then a vet check-up is warranted, if you havent had him long enough to determine, I would give it a few weeks. Just me. Good Luck

Chad

Guest bluefawn

Sounds like she is in pain, or is stressed about something. You might just do a head-to-toe check and see if you feel anything out of the ordinary. If she doesn't stop panting soon, I would get her in for a checkup. If you think it's just something stressing her, you can get one of those DAP plug-ins at any pet store. They really help a lot! Sending hugs for your girl!grouphug.gif

Guest dramaqueen

Thanks for the ideas. My daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer at 38 & this is really stressed ME out with worry with her upcoming operation for breast surgery. I know that dogs can sense things & I wonder if I'm the cause of this. At the end of the nite when everyone is relaxed she calms down. I have checked her body & felt around with no discomfort to her. Hopefully this will pass. Thanks What does everyone think or has anyone had this experience?