Barking At Company

Guest lyndajgil

Guest lyndajgil

All of a sudden, my Grey, Ross, 3 years old, barks at people when they come in the house and won't stop. My husband's friend came over last week and met Ross for the first time. He is a small guy and not intimidating. He had a hat on so we asked him to take it off. We also gave his friend treats to give to Ross. Ross took them but then just started barking again.

My friend came over today for the first time. Ross let her pet him for a couple of minutes and they were getting along fine. But again, the same thing...barking. We have had him now for 8.5 months.Not sure at this point what to do. We would like to have company over without Ross barking and feeling uncomfortable. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Edited by lyndajgil

Guest 4dogscrazy

hmm...I don't have a lot of advice, but experience. You sound like you are doing the right thing, yes sometimes hats make them nervous and giving out treats usually works. I've heard some dogs that don't like glasses too! Does he do the same thing for women and men? I have one dog, my female Piper, that does not like when strange women come over, especially if they look at her and try talking to her. Since most of my friends are animal lovers, that's the first thing they do! haha She doesn't hide when they come in, just sits watching and looks nervous. Can you have your guests ignore him and not look at him? Mine does better when everyone ignores her, but I've never figured out how to stop it, unfortunatley I either muzzle her or put her in her crate. :( hopefully you'll get some help here and maybe I can learn something too!

Edited by 4dogscrazy

Guest 4dogscrazy

Well I thought of a few vitoria stillwell things: does he fixate on the stranger? Can you break his stare? If he can be distracted, can you try throwing his favorite squeaky toy to get him to divert his attention? Maybe give the stanger a toy to toss for him?

What happens if the stranger is introduced in the yard? Seems like he is protecting something, either you or the house. This is unusual behavior for a houndie (I think). Does he bark at approaching strangers when you walk him? Are your guests getting close to his favorite bed? food dishes?

You could also try some kind of sound diversion. Not a loud scary noise, but I've seen her use a child's bike horn, you hide the horn, squeak it, then when he falls silent to listen for the noise again or to look for it, you treat and say "quiet". That teaches them to stop barking when you say quiet and eventually you won't have to use the horn to get him to stop. That's the basic procedure as I remember it, it's been a while since I saw that episode! You might want to try to look up the procedure before you try it. I'm pretty sure she has her own web-site.

Hope this helps!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Since this is sudden and new behavior, I would suggest a vet visit and have a full thyroid checkup. Be sure that the vet sends off the bloodwork for testing at one of the colleges that specifically works with greyhound blood values such as Dr Cuto in Ohio, or I believe that Michigan State also does, but I am not sure of who to send it to there. Sometimes sudden unexplained behavior changes are an outward manifestation of a medical issue. If all is clear, then desensitization with treats would probably be the best course of action. Good luck.

Chad

Guest 4dogscrazy

woops, yes a vet visit first! Always rule out medical before you start treating behavioral. Thyroid low or high can cause unexplained behavior and aggression in a dog. How is his coat? Has it changed?

Thanks Chad, that's why this is a group effort lol!