Obedient Classes

Guest greynewb

Guest GreyFan09

Personally I would not take my hound to a "petsmart" type of training class. Mainly because the greyhound breed has such a unique background that most trainers are not familiar with the specific challenges that a greyhound faces as they are used to training dogs that have been raised in "human" environments, whereas a greyhound has been raised as a pack animal not in a "human" environment. I would ask the group that you adopt from if they recommend an obedience class. I know that here in Chicago, our group has its own trainer that does basic/advanced obedience as well as other classes. Just my opinion, not to bash any trainer at all, its just that greyhounds are not like any other "dog" people come into contact with.

Chad

Hi Chad, I was wondering if you can give me some information on the trainer your group uses. We took our Comet to a local training class and it wasn't the greatest for him. The instructor had no knowledge of Greyhounds and didn't understand why he wouldn't sit like other dogs. Tried explaining it and he looked at us like we were crazy. Comet did very well with "stay", "come" and "leave it", but haven't figured out how to get him to laydown and sit (if possible). We went and checked out one school in Chicago but they used prong collars and very aggresive teaching methods which arn't for us. Would like something more Greyhound specific. Thanks!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Here is a clip from the email that is sent out to Greyhound Only people:

Windy City K-9 is right off 90/94 and is located at the corner of Elston and North Avenues. There is ample parking.

Please contact Karen Banks directly to register for this class at 773-736-5172 or via email at fdmaster "at" comcast "dot" net.

If you have already taken the beginning obedience class and are interested in an advanced class, cross-training (flyball and agility) are also available. If you are interested in those classes, contact Karen Banks.

If you are new to greyhound ownership and are curious about these training opportunities, feel free to visit a class and see how much fun it is for the dogs and their owners. Training classes are a great bonding experience for both you and your dog!

Guest GreyFan09

Here is a clip from the email that is sent out to Greyhound Only people:

Windy City K-9 is right off 90/94 and is located at the corner of Elston and North Avenues. There is ample parking.

Please contact Karen Banks directly to register for this class at 773-736-5172 or via email at fdmaster "at" comcast "dot" net.

If you have already taken the beginning obedience class and are interested in an advanced class, cross-training (flyball and agility) are also available. If you are interested in those classes, contact Karen Banks.

If you are new to greyhound ownership and are curious about these training opportunities, feel free to visit a class and see how much fun it is for the dogs and their owners. Training classes are a great bonding experience for both you and your dog!

Thanks for the information!

Guest dancewkathylee

I just wanted to get other peoples take on group obedience classes like the ones at Petsmart. If or when I get my grey I was thinking of taking him or her to these classes and just wanted someone elses opinions and experiences.

I tried a class at a Petsmart and didn't care for it. Actually, we did a few private lessons there. The trainer seemed to know enough but seemed bored with the idea. The classes were all full of young hyper pups and my grey was 4. Neither of us cared for the group thing. He's pretty well behaved anyway. The only major thing I'd like to improve is getting him to come consistently when called when we are outside.