Question About Bladder Stones

Guest brit1

At the moment I am not sure whether a (female)dog that I am interested in adopting had struvite or calcium oxalate stones, will post when I know. My question is, if its either one, what are the chances of it recurring (apparently had to have surgical removal of stones when taken into rescue) assuming the correct diet is used. Also, will there be home made alternatives to veterinary prescription diets. Having had to deal with serious illnesses that resulted in death of my last two dogs (thank God I currently have a healthy grey/x) I am a little nervous about taking on a known problem although I realize any dog could end up with one and of course we will lovingly take care of it. Thanks

anne :)

Edited by brit1

Guest greyhound9797

I have a cat who had a urinary blockage due to calcium oxylate stones and needed surgery. I put him on a raw diet which he heartily ate for a month then went on a raw strike. I've been told that raw is really the best diet for any type of stones due to the high water content and lack of artificial ingredients and preservatives. Not sure if this helps you or not...

Sandra in FL

Guest LindsaySF

Once you know what type of crystals they are, you can avoid diets containing those ingredients in the future. You can use a prescription diet, but that's usually not necessary. If the food package label doesn't have the information about the ingredients that you need, you can call the manufacturer and ask. My cat had struvite crystals and didn't do well on the Rx diet, we switched to a different food and no more crystals. You can also add a urine acidifier and make sure they drink plenty of water, that will help too. Good luck. :)