Hound Hike Behavior

Guest kar

I've had doug for about a year. I know he does not like other species of dog - but thought he would not mind other greyhounds. Took him on his first houndhike and he growled at two other dogs. Had to muzzle him for the hike. He seemed to relax once he is muzzled. He was the only dog who had to wear a muzzle. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I continue to take him on hound hikes in the hopes that his behavior will improve - he seemed very nervous at first, again settled down once he was muzzled. Any suggestions?

Guest LindsaySF

We need more detail about the circumstances. Which dogs did he growl at (male, female, large, small, etc)? What was that dog doing at the time, and what was your dog doing at the time?

It depends on the reason he is growling. My foster Sooner will growl at dogs that get in his face, especially male dogs. He's a bit unsure/anxious in those situations, and does a preemptive growl. He has gotten better the more places I take him, and I can read his body language and tell when he's feeling uncomfortable.

Have you taken Doug on walks with other dogs before? Does he meet up with other dogs on walks around the neighborhood? Do you have other dogs, and does he get along okay with them?

Guest Lovey_Hounds

you have had him for a year and havent had him around any other hounds/dogs??? i would say he might have just been nervous and unsure about what was going on. keep taking him on those walks and see how he does, he might just need to realize that he is going to ok and thr walks are a fun thing ot a scary thing. i would suggest keeping a muzzle on him or with him until you are very sure he isnt going to get upset.

I have had issues with my boy vegas getting snarley with other dogs mostly other males, dogs that jump on him and sometimes other breeds of dog, what i have done is i continue to take him out to meet different dogs and go into different situations and he is now getting better and rarely gets upset and snarkey and the big thing is we dont have to muzzle him as often with other dogs! he now comes to me when he is unsure and gives a warning growl before he snaps.

Edited by Lovey_Hounds

I have two other greys, two chihuahuas and a cat - maybe a growl over a toy or food once in a great while, other than that fine. He does not seem to like other types of dogs on walks - but redirects rather quickly when I say no. He growled at both a female and a male - they ran up to him to greet him and he wanted none of it. Once he was muzzled he calmed down - did let the other dogs sniff him and did sniff them. He has been on a lot of hikes but only my female and him. My female will greet any dog submissively - in fact she lies right down. Doug however wants nothing to do with other types of dogs and gives an immediate growl bark reaction. Ironically, my other male is horrid on walks around the neighborhood - hates all dogs on leash in that situation - yet on hound hikes and other hikes does not mind other dogs - as long as it is not in our neighborhood. Just don't know if I should continue to bring him and muzzle him until I can trust. It was weird having the only greyhound muzzled on the walk and most of the other owners wanted to stay away from him - understandably.

Guest LindsaySF
He growled at both a female and a male - they ran up to him to greet him and he wanted none of it.

If the other dogs did indeed "run up" to him, that may have been the problem. :) Some dogs don't like that and find it offensive or scary. Even if the other dog is trying to greet them, if they charge up and get in their face they take offense to it.

I would continue to bring him on walks, bring the muzzle with you. Warn people that he doesn't like face to face contact, direct the dogs to sniff each others' butts instead. He should get better as he meets more dogs and gets better socialized around them. Good luck!