Hind Quarter Weakness

Guest rileynails

Guest rileynails

my 13-1'2 greyhound can jump on the bed, walk up and down stairs= squat and walk- when standing for a few minutes her back legs get weak. any ideas

I am by no means a vet, but I can speak for our experience with Smiley. He has had some weakness in his hind quarters and the consensus is he has lumbosacral stenosis (sp?). This link is to an article that can give you info. on this particular condition and may help you come up with some more questions for your vet too to help you figure out what's going on: Article Link Good luck!

Guest alyssap99

my 13-1'2 greyhound can jump on the bed, walk up and down stairs= squat and walk- when standing for a few minutes her back legs get weak. any ideas

That's a good old age!

Greta has had the same problem since she was nine or so (she's 12 now). The vet did x-rays when the trembling first started happening and everything looked normal...so it was just chalked up to arthritis and old age. People always think she's nervous because she's so shaky! But it doesn't seem to cause any major problems.

Guest barkdogs

You might see if there is a canine acupuncturist near you. If you are near Philadelphia PA I can recommend one--Dr. Fuoco at Queen Village Animal Hospital. She helped My old Leo a lot with his lumbo-sacral issues.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Both of mine developed LS in their old age. Luckily, both cases were/are slow progressing. There is a pressure test the vet can do on the spine to determine if it is likely LS. When they mash on just the right spot and the dog loses control and almost falls, they confirm it as LS.