Any Tips For Cat-Fearing Greyhound?

Guest vezzerina

Guest vezzerina

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone has encountered this before. Lyca has been with us since September and I wish she wasn't so afraid of our three cats. She averts her eyes when they get close and refuses to come onto the couch or walk through a doorway if they are in the way. The cats really couldn't care less about her. The thing is, on our walks she is quite happy to sniff neighborhood cats (we have very daring cats living around us!). And when she has stayed at a friend's house who had greyhounds and cats, she was totally fine with their felines.

Is there any way I can let her know that the cats are ok?

Guest brandi007

I think every time the cats around you should lavish her with affection, treats and loving. Maybe she'll eventually associate the cats with positive experiences!

My dogs are terrified of my cat too, but I don't blame them - he's a bit of a dink! B)

Guest budsmom

Bud is afraid of my female cat, which is kind of funny since he's 8 times her size! I just let them work it out between themselves, but I do keep an eye on the cat. She knows Bud is afraid of her and picks on him sometimes, and I won't allow that anymore than I would allow him to go after her. I would say just make sure your cats aren't picking on the hound and they'll sort it out themselves.

I agree with just letting them all sort it out for themselves. It sounds like a very good thing that your dog is being respectful of the cats.

The only thing I could suggest is to try and 'mix scents'. By that I mean go and pet your cats, then pet Lyca right afterwards. That way a bit of the cats scent is on Lyca and she will become a bit more familiar with them in a pleasant way (by you stroking her).

Guest vezzerina

These are all great tips. Thank you! I will definitely try the mixing scents thing. I like to try to pet them simultaneously, too (one hand on a cat, the other on the dog), too! But I see from your avatar, sheila, that you've had some success with this in the past!

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have Lyca be respectful of the cats than cat crazy!

Thanks! :colgate

Can you just imagine what the cat is saying to your greyhound when you are not home to make him so crazy around her? :eek:lol

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project