Question About Protein Levels

Guest jurishound

Guest jurishound

Can anyone clue me in on greyhound protein levels? Talca was tentatively DX with PLE when she presented with rather remarkable abdominal ascites, liquid diarrhea, and vomiting. After being told we would likely have to put her down, we brought her to a vet at our local teaching hospital for another opinion (thanks again, Melissa!) who recommended a low antigen diet and probiotics. She seems well, has solid poops, no vomiting, and is her usual, tail waggy self. BUT - her recent blood work showed that her total protein went from 4.2 to 3.5, albumin from 2.6 to 2.2, and globulins from 1.6 to 1.2. The vet is recommending endoscopy for biopsy and a definitive DX. Is there anyone out there who has experienced this and can comment?

Guest gretzky

No experience, thank goodness, but wanted to let you know I'll be praying for your sweet Talca that this is nothing, just another bump in the road.

Guest Fasave

I should be able to help you more but Safari's protein issues were both in the kidneys and the gut and I'm always getting them confused. Did they say what they are hoping to find out from the biopsy?

Guest sirsmom

We had a mix named Lucky who had this about 2 years after a hernia surgery and it was due to (I'm not that technical) liver portals being blocked by scar tissue from the surgery. But, this may have no correlation at all to what you have. This is the only thing we ever experienced like it.