Eye Drops

Guest Greytluv

Guest Greytluv

Can you use people eye drops on dogs? My friend has a cocker and his eye is really red. I know my springer would get red, droopy eyes. Would it hurt to use them until she can get to the vet?

Guest shirley

I know some drops that people use for glaucoma are the same drops that they use for greyhounds but I wouldn't like to to risk just using any drops just incase :unsure

Guest MnMDogs

I wouldn't. If it persists it may be best to get it checked out. I thought Mork had allergies and he actually had severe dry eye (on top of PRA) requiring tacrolimus.

Guest TexasGreytMom

We had a Cocker years ago and he constantly had eye infections - they're prone to them due to the deep pockets under their eyes. We were told by our vet to rinse his eyes once a week with eye wash to remove the dust, sand, dirt that can collect in those "bags" under their eyes. I can't recall what type of eye wash we used - it may have come from the vet.

I wouldn't take a chance by using OTC drops without first checking with your vet - better safe than sorry when it comes to eyesight.

Edited by TexasGreytMom

Guest Grhndad

We've had a couple of dogs with dry eyes and our vet told us to use Systane eye drops. It's the over the counter eye drops that my wife uses. We've used it for over 5 years on various hounds.