Help With Morning Routine.......very Frustrated

Guest HuggableHound

Guest jacksonhunter31

Just one more opinion. We live with Michigan winters--don't use boots and our southern-born and bred dog loves the snow. Only unhappy when the wind really blows the snow into his eyes...

I just wanted to laugh (with not at, of course!) because my boys have rejected the boots but they never gave me trouble when putting them on! They will stomp around and eventually the boots come off....so the boots make little sense for them! I would be stunned if they were smart enough to complain during the process of putting them on!!! I have always been able to whip clothing or costumes onto them b4 they realize how much they dislike something!

I agree that booties are unnecessary if the dog doesn't want them as apparel. Injuries are different, of course.

I even send them out without jackets when it's 15-20 F...they seem to enjoy the freedom of nakedness because it means less static and complete freedom of movement, not to mention less time until the door is opened.

The paw wax is a good thing! I noticed the pet store carries a brand that was about $20 for a small jar but I KNOW there is something out there that is much more cost-effective and probably the same quality. Do a search if you feel like it!

And just remember, new dogs alter their routines regularly due to separation anxiety, changes in weather, changes in household (like getting a new dog or losing one), or just because! Sometimes you can figure out the reason, other times you have to wait it out and sometimes it is illness so being watchful is a good thing in case you need prompt medical attention or even a little bit of first aid to stave off a problem.

Aren't these dogs greyt and just so full of life??????

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Guest Sweetreba

Today I was at the dentist and the hygenist and I were having this conversation about ice and salt with the dogs paws. She has a standard poodle and she said she smears vaseline on her dogs paws before a walk and it helps. She said he is not fond of her doing it but she does it in the garage before they go. I asked how much does she use and she said she coats the bottoms of his paws with a good amount. She said she read it somewhere. Has anyone heard of or tried this?

Guest brandi1530

I've been leash walking a dog 5x a day for the past 17 years in New England--my dogs have never, ever worn boots.

She's a dog, not a toddler, and she doesn't need them. If they aren't helping, they're not worth it. Some dogs appreciate them--and I'm not suggesting they might not be beneficial to protect her from the salt. But my dogs have certainly never suffered any ill effects from walking in the winter, and we DO encounter salt and "ice melter." Occasionally the dog might even stop and hold up a paw. I wipe it off, give the dog a little pat, and away we go!

Are you saying she isn't pooping on your morning walks all the sudden?

I take my dog out for a quicky, then feed him, then take him for a long walk. Have you tried that? He won't normally poop the first time, but usually has to go about 15 minutes after eating.

what she said.

I do the same thing. I tried for weeks to get mine to wear boots and he decided he wasn't wearing them. Now I just wipe off his paws after he walks.