Chase Has The Runs

Tracey

Chase got me up at 5 this morning, and 7:30 as well. And then he had to urgently go out again at 10 and 11:20 and you get the idea. It's not unusual for his stools to be on the soft side, but he definitely has diarrhea like I've never seen him have before. I've seen the suggestions in the past of chicken and rice for dinner. I know it's important that he stay hydrated so there's a big bowl of water always available. What else should I do for him? No vet until Saturday at the earliest because she's closed today and tomorrow. And any ideas what could cause this? Could it be the Enalipril he's on for his heart? I'm grasping at straws. Everyone else is fine, at least intestine-wise. Oh, and Chase seems like he feels fine too except for the diarrhea.

Funny side note. Every time after Chase went potty he sat down in the snow to clean his tush off. I don't know how he figured that out but what a smart boy. And I thank him for it. :lol

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

He may just have a little tummy upset. You can give him immodium if you like. If he has a little upset stomach you can give him Pepcid.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Cari is going through this right now. I am feeding brown rice and chicken, and we just got Purina EN (like Science Diet ID) for her, yesterday. She also has something LIKE Amodium AD (but for dogs) that I have from my former vet. I'd say, keep Chase on a BLAND diet, chicken, rice, and plain yogurt, and you can give (1) human Amodium AD, twice a day if needed. RE hydration. .. as long as Chase is drinking, you should be fine. Might want to add some Gatorade to the water. Good Luck!

Chase got me up at 5 this morning, and 7:30 as well. And then he had to urgently go out again at 10 and 11:20 and you get the idea. It's not unusual for his stools to be on the soft side, but he definitely has diarrhea like I've never seen him have before. I've seen the suggestions in the past of chicken and rice for dinner. I know it's important that he stay hydrated so there's a big bowl of water always available. What else should I do for him? No vet until Saturday at the earliest because she's closed today and tomorrow. And any ideas what could cause this? Could it be the Enalipril he's on for his heart? I'm grasping at straws. Everyone else is fine, at least intestine-wise. Oh, and Chase seems like he feels fine too except for the diarrhea.

Funny side note. Every time after Chase went potty he sat down in the snow to clean his tush off. I don't know how he figured that out but what a smart boy. And I thank him for it. :lol

Oh man that blows on a holiday! (Pun intended!) I don't know what else you can do other than fasting him for 24 hrs (which will be doubly hard when everyone is serving up food galore for the holiday) and then starting the bland diet. I really think the fasting is the way to go though and allow Chases system to calm down and empty out.

I've only had one dog that took Enalapril and it never seemed to have this effect on him.

Now the wiping off of the butt in the snow sounds hilarious, but it a way makes sense. When one has nasty big D, things tend to feel a bit 'hot and angry' in that area and I'm thinking the snow must cool things off and feel comforting. Smart boy Chase! lol.gif

Zema hasn't had that issue but she is taking a much lower dose of Enalapril.

I too would fast for 24. Hopefully just a brief upset and he'll be back to himself tomorrow.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I don't know about instructions for Enalapril, but don't fast your boy if that's going to let the meds upset his stomach. Bland food (like the rice) will be the way to go. You can feed smaller meals more often, if that might be more helpful.

Your boy was smart about the snow. I'm a dog groomer, and at work today we had a 6-month-old Golden Doodle with diarrhea...after his first bath, after his second bath, and after his third. At work, the short-haired dogs never have diarrhea.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Chase hadn't eaten since dinner last night so I gave him dinner tonight of chicken, rice and low sodium chicken broth. He was pretty happy with this alternate meal, as you might imagine. I finished it off with an Immodium AD. We'll see how he does. Thanks for all the advice, everyone! :)

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

Just wanted to update; while not 100% Chase is much better today. And we all got a solid night's sleep last night, which was highly appreciated.