Scraped Back Legs

Guest 4rooers

Guest 4rooers

My Ozzie is almost 12 and is on Soloxine for low thyroid. The snow has really been a problem. He goes out and then comes in with the inside of both back legs oozing blood. I think the snow is scraping the skin. Could his low thyroid be making the skin thinner, and if so, should I try uping his dose a little? He is thin( raced at 74 lb. and I have a hard time keeping him at 70)and a little wobbly. He is such a love and I would do anything for him. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Kim

Guest EmilyandSioux

Do not up the meds until you have talked to your vet about it. You need to call them in the morning and get him checked. It could be nothing but then it could be major. Without seeing him it is hard to say. If the legs are cut you can get MediHoney from DermaSciences.com and put it on them and wrap them and they will heal very fast. If the blood is under the surface you may need to go to the emergency clinic with him. I don't want the scare you but I have been a tech for many years. My guys have all gotten wobbly as the years have gone on.

No need to up the soloxine unless there is additional T4/free testing redone and the numbers are off.

My Chloe is hypothroid too.

For scraped legs, I would wash the are with peroxide and spray with an antibiotic like genotcin (SP?) or betagen which are both topical sprays by prescription. I always have a couple of bottles on hand for reasons such as this. If you don't have this, a little neosporin after you wash it and don;t let Ozzie out in this weather unleashed. he may need a little stabilization with you on the other end of the leash until the snow and ice goes away. That's what I would do.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Energy11

Probably doesn't have anything to do with the thyroid, BUT, I would still put a call into the vet, to be sure. Could just be the icy hard snow, on thin Greyhound skin. Good Luck!