Interdigital Cysts

Guest Eric_Kiltie

I adopted a returned senior girlie years ago who had horrible weeping sores between the toes on both her back feet (similar to your pic, but even worse). Twice-daily warm epsom salt soaks and oral antibiotics did the trick, but it took time and patience. Once it finally healed, it never came back. I never found out why exactly it happened in the first place.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Our late whippet had them. They didn't bother him. We couldn't cure them. When they flared up, we'd clean daily so crud didn't build up in there and smear on a little neosporin (antibiotic) ointment. Otherwise they seemed to do best when we left his feet alone. We did keep his nails well trimmed so long nails weren't forcing his toe joints into odd positions.

For outdoors, you might try some baby socks on the feet with the cysts; turn of vetwrap (the stuff that sticks to itself but not to skin) around the ankle to keep them on. As long as it isn't terribly wet out, they'll help keep the area clean and protected a little. If it *is* wet out, you could try ... (pause for everybody to laugh but I got the idea from LynnM) ... a condom.

Assume your vet has tested to make sure it isn't fungus?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

For outdoors, you might try some baby socks on the feet with the cysts; turn of vetwrap (the stuff that sticks to itself but not to skin) around the ankle to keep them on. As long as it isn't terribly wet out, they'll help keep the area clean and protected a little. If it *is* wet out, you could try ... (pause for everybody to laugh but I got the idea from LynnM) ... a condom.

Assume your vet has tested to make sure it isn't fungus?

I'd recommend the non-lubricated ones. :rotfl

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest Eric_Kiltie

Thanks folks ... but there's no way I'm going outside with a condom on the dog's paw! :P

I found a linky to some info on the condition (a LOT of info to wade thru, with various schools of thought on the condition and methods of treatment.) Anyways, I will post it in case there is anything in it that you haven't already seen or tried; here: http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/INTERDIGITAL-FURUNCLES.HTM

Thanks - I'd missed that. Lots of good stuff there.

Cheers,

Eric :)

Tank gets those on the inner digit of each paw and nowhere else.

We think it is food allergies but still not totally sure.

When they flare up, we give cephalaxin antibiotics and they clear right up. It's not the best fix but it's what we can do right now.