Amicar Dose

Guest mcsheltie

Guest mcsheltie

Initially we were told to give 500 mg twice a day. But since then I have read several articles that said three times per day. What is the correct dose?

Guest mcsheltie

What is the situation?

We have a haul coming in on Sunday. Vetting on Monday. Our last two rounds of sputers had bleeders, so we are going to give Amicar prophylactically.

My vet and I recently discussed this and this was her response: "For the typical spay/neuter I'd give 500 mg in the morning pre-op, one post-op, and then the next morning only if bleeding appears to be an issue. You could easily argue that they should only need the 1 dose pre-op, giving more as needed. "

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

However, the bleeding doesn't show up that quickly in spays if I remember right. If you suspect a bleeder, I think you have to go longer.

I'll ask Marilyn.

I'm not sure I'd give it for spays prophylactically. Of course, I wouldn't vet the day after a long haul eitherrolleyes.gif Way too much stress.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest mcsheltie

However, the bleeding doesn't show up that quickly in spays if I remember right. If you suspect a bleeder, I think you have to go longer.

I'll ask Marilyn.

I'm not sure I'd give it for spays prophylactically. Of course, I wouldn't vet the day after a long haul eitherrolleyes.gif Way too much stress.

I agree, but this time we don't have a choice on that. We have only found one vet that will give us a price break. And with the Holidays a few days away, this is the only way we can make it work.

A couple of the past bleeders showed up 48 hrs later. Our vet is in agreement. He says it doesn't do any harm if it is not necessary. OSU routinely gives it pre-op for GH surgery.

I'll ask Marilyn.

True - Dr. Couto mentioned some bleeds don't happen until 48 hours after. Weird dogs. :)

A couple of the past bleeders showed up 48 hrs later. Our vet is in agreement. He says it doesn't do any harm if it is not necessary. OSU routinely gives it pre-op for GH surgery.

Yeah, my vet likes to use it just in case for greyhound surgeries. It's not that expensive (I saw on the interwebs that it runs about $80 for 100 500mg pills), won't hurt the dog in any event, so no reason not to use.

Good luck with your haul and vetting!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire